Difference in item count in document library. RRS feed

• Question

• We are seeing a difference in item count in document library from "View All Site Content" page and a view defined in that library which lists out only items with no folders.

The library have versioning enabled but doesn't require any approval's.

In one of the library we are seeing that the item count that is seen from "View All Site Content" (Allitems.aspx) page, is less that number of items shown in view.

I would like to know how this count in library works.

Friday, July 22, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Internally Sharepoint treat folder as the items. So when you see itemcount from the "View All Site Content" it will show you complete item count including folder. But when you see item count in list without folder it will show you only item count excluding folders. Like below example

3 folders

28 items.

"View All Site Content" count = 31

List View count w/o folder = 28

List View Count w folder = 31

the above reasoning answered your question?

Rahul Sharma -------------------------- Coding is all about passion !!!!!!
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Rahul.

In my case I'm seeing Item Count within the list as 130 and View all site content shows 124.

Can you think on any reason why this is like that?

Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:15 AM
  • May be  beacuse of Caching?

Try IIS Reset and then check the count !

Rahul Sharma -------------------------- Coding is all about passion !!!!!!
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:39 AM
  • This is not the right approach. We do have application pool recycle scheduled everyday and still the issue is there.

However we did IIS RESET but it didn't help. I'm sure that it is not something related to caching.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Hi ,

The count in the view all site content will count in all the items ,folders, subfolders  in the document library .So the count will be equal or larger than the number in the  view .You need to provide more information .

1.       How do you set your count in the view ?In the modify the view page or by writing some codes?

2.       If you set the count in the modify this view page ,then which column do you count on ?

3.       What kind of item  do you have in your document library ?

4.       Have you tried on some other document libraries? Will the number listed on the view all item page be smaller than the number in the view page?

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:42 AM
  • I understand that the count in viewlsts.aspx page comprises of folders and items within it. But in our case it is like the count that we are seeing on the viewlsts.aspx page is less than the item count within a view.

To answer to your question, no customisation has been used to display the count. It is using the item count section present in a view.

While setting item count it is set on title field.

Items are mostly word and PDF documents.

I have tried with other doc lib and there it is working fine.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Can anyone reply to this thread?
    Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:34 PM
  • The reason the counts are different is because there is content in the library or list with no checked-in version.

Check this solution:

http://joepreiner.com/library-list-item-counts-seem-wrong-sharepoint/

• Edited by Pikku Myy Friday, May 20, 2016 10:01 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:01 AM