Sync to Outlook.com and Outlook for Android - bizarre - Last name first RRS feed

• Question

• I'll try again.  Not response to my previous post regarding sync to Google Contacts.  Now trying sync to Outlook.com Contacts and Outlooks for Android contacts.  Or "People" as MS seems to prefer, even though a lot of my contacts are NOT people - they are Companies or Organizations - NOT PEOPLE.  Hint hint. 

Bizarre behavior when I sync to Outlook.com.  Many of the contact for unexplained reasons appear in the Outlook.com Contacts as phone numbers instead of names.  But others with the same profile, appear as names, while others display as email addresses.  It gets worse - when I open up Outlook for Android - contacts (or People - grrr) and try to edit - it says in order to edit, but sync.  Start sync then my Outlook.com contacts go even more bizarre as even more listings are changed to phone numbers.  Fortunately, the bizarre behavior did not flow back to my Outlook 2016 desktop. 

And Outlook for Android still is pretty useless for me, as you can't select to sort or list by last name... 

Outlook 2016 on Win 10 Prof 64 bit

Android LG G5 running Android 7.0.

Please, MS, can you help me?

Doug

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, January 15, 2018 3:07 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the description, the syncing issue happens between Outlook.com and Outlook for Android app, correct? Since this forum is for questions and feedback related to Outlook desktop application, I'd recommend you post a new question to the forum dedicated to Outlook for Android app to get further assistance:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_amobile

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 15, 2018 6:11 AM
  • Thanks Steve.  but if you read my question, it does involve Outlook.com.  Are you saying that Outlook desktop has nothing to do with how contacts are synced to Outlook.com?

Doug

Monday, January 15, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Apologize if I've misunderstood something. I thought you were trying syncing contacts between Outlook.com webmail and Outlook for Android app. 

May I know in which app are the contacts originally created? Could you provide some screenshots so that we can understood the issue more clearly?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  I am syncing to Outlook.com as an intermediary to Outlook for Android trying to understand where things are going bad.  The contacts were originally created in Outlook desktop 2016. 

Here is a screenshot from Outlook on a test contact.  Notice its a company name and the "File as" is set to Beta Airlines. 

Here is the results in Outlook.com:  It is listed by phone number only!  What possible reason could explain this? 

Oh, don't see the screen shots? The website would not let me post screen shots - says until I have been verified.  Grrrr. 

These contacts with listed in Outlook.com with phone numbers are not even showing up in Outlook for Android contacts.  A mystery. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Doug

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:06 PM
  • Update.  I tried the Outlook.com beta version of contacts.  That cleaned up the contacts which were listed by phone number only.  And they are sorted by Last name and displayed by last name.  But within say B's, they are not in order.  Buttonwillow Raceway Park is displayed above BMW Northwest... 

Seems like developers can not imagine someone wanting to keep their contacts listed and sorted by Last name first and company name when there is only a company name...

Doug

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:11 PM
  • I guess Microsoft is just too busy to help its customers. 
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 12:16 AM