none
How to REMOVE WSUS CLIENT settings

Question

• I have a windows server 2008 that was configured to look to a wsus server that is no longer available. I would like to remove this configuration and set it back to look at microsoft update. I don't see how this can be done. Is it even possible?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• I have a windows server 2008 that was configured to look to a wsus server that is no longer available. I would like to remove this configuration and set it back to look at microsoft update. I don't see how this can be done. Is it even possible?

Absolutely can be done, and easily so.

Several options:

1. In the WSUS GPO assigned to this server, DISABLE the policy "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location".

2. If the policy has already been removed, or the machine is in a container with no policy applied for WSUS:
            Reset the registry value UseWUServer = dword:0x0 (DISABLED), or
            Delete the entire registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
                 which will revert the WUAgent to the original installed behavior of Automatic Updates
                 and then set the desired behavior usign the Control Panel | Windows Update dialog.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

Absolutely can be done, and easily so.

Several options:

1. In the WSUS GPO assigned to this server, DISABLE the policy "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location".

2. If the policy has already been removed, or the machine is in a container with no policy applied for WSUS:
            Reset the registry value UseWUServer = dword:0x0 (DISABLED), or
            Delete the entire registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
                 which will revert the WUAgent to the original installed behavior of Automatic Updates
                 and then set the desired behavior usign the Control Panel | Windows Update dialog.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:11 AM
  • A great note and thankyou to the solution to my problem! Deletion of the registry key reverted to Windows (online) patch management.

Please note that a reboot was required fot Windows 7 Workstation before I could perform the update.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Reboot is not nessecary, if you restart the Windows Update Service.
    Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:01 PM
  • Thank you. It worked properly. :)
    Monday, August 24, 2015 8:18 AM
  • After destroying WSUS on a W08SBS while attempting to migrate the WSUS repository from C:\ to another drive based on MS-TechNet-Blog’s recommendations on how to do this and then removing the WSUS from the server, I had to reconfigure clients and servers on the domain Network to use WUA instead of WSUS. Based on Lawrence's advice above I did the following: On one server I deleted the entire registry key: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate) This left me with settings at: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update and Windows Update in Control Panel with full functionality. On a W7-ProSP1 client which is used at work and at home I deleted: Key-Value: 1. WUServer and 2. WUStatusServer at: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate and reset the registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU >UseWUServer = dword:0x0 (DISABLED)

on opening Windows Update in Control Panel(CP) I noticed that the "Important Updates" Settings are greyed. The option on how to install updated, frequency time and time can not be changed. This can be due to the organization's Group Policy on this client that was receiving updates from WSUS blocking access to the feature and preventing the edit in CP. Most of the options can be changed in the registry though but one has to know the relevant Key-values for the various options. Some of which are descried in MSKB328010 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/328010/how-to-configure-automatic-updates-by-using-group-policy-or-registry-s)

Note: When you configure Automatic Updates directly by using the policy registry keys at: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\ or HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

the policy overrides the preferences that are set by the local administrative user to configure the client. If an  administrator removes the above registry keys at a later date, the references that were set by the local administrative user are used again at: 

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

I have not figured out as yet were all the registry settings are documented or how one disables the organization's Group Policy on the client.

• Edited by Gudufl Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:49 AM Replaced W7-ProSP2 with Win7Pro-SP1
    Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:16 PM
  • If you can get WSUS back up on your SBS box in a running state, I can probably guess you tried to move the data due to the size of the WSUS Content folder. If you can get the SBS Box WSUS back up, you can use my script to clean up your WSUS Content folder and make WSUS Usable again. The average file space recovery is ~50GB with a maximum recovery that I've seen of 632.25 GB.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:48 PM
  • @Adam,

Thank you for the offer and you are correct in assuming that I  tried to move the data due to the size of the WSUS Content folder. For now I will use the WUA on the individual clients and other servers, boost the storage space for the SBS and do a clean installation of W11SBS and direct the WSUS content folder were I want it during installation or if that is not possible migrate it strait after the installation before I register any networked servers and clients to use WSUS on the SBS.

I would still like to know were the relevant WUA registry settings are documented and which organization's Group Policy on the client is blocking access to the feature and preventing the edit in CP.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017 4:13 AM