none
Failover Cluster Manager Complains about DPM 2010 RTM Backups of Virtual Servers (Using Child Partition Snapshot) RRS feed

• Question

• Im trying to protect Virtual Servers In a clustered Hyper-V environment using cluster shared volumes; The used SAN does not have a hardware VSS provider. At the moment there's just one server in the protection group; Backup seems to work OK, during backup the failover cluster reports that the CSV the server resides on uses redirected access (expected), but there's an additional warning in the Logs on the failover cluster:

"Von einer Sicherungsanwendung wurde auf dem freigegebenen Clustervolume "Volume4" ("Clusterdatenträger 6") ohne ordnungsgemäße Vorbereitung des Volumes ein VSS-Snapshot initiiert. Der Snapshot ist möglicherweise ungültig, und die Sicherung kann möglicherweise nicht zur Wiederherstellung verwendet werden. Erkundigen Sie sich beim Anbieter der Sicherungsanwendung nach der Kompatibilität mit freigegebenen Clustervolumes."

short translation: A backup application initiated a VSS-Snapshot of a CSV without proper preparation. Ask the provider of the backup solution about compatibility with CSV.

Since DPM2010 should support protection of virtual servers on CSV, I don't understand the warning and would like to avoid it.

The cluster consists of 2008-R2 Core Servers with updates + hotfixes: KB975354 and KB975921. Any Idea what I am missing or doing wrong?

Friday, May 28, 2010 10:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Im trying to protect Virtual Servers In a clustered Hyper-V environment using cluster shared volumes; The used SAN does not have a hardware VSS provider. At the moment there's just one server in the protection group; Backup seems to work OK, during backup the failover cluster reports that the CSV the server resides on uses redirected access (expected), but there's an additional warning in the Logs on the failover cluster:

"Von einer Sicherungsanwendung wurde auf dem freigegebenen Clustervolume "Volume4" ("Clusterdatenträger 6") ohne ordnungsgemäße Vorbereitung des Volumes ein VSS-Snapshot initiiert. Der Snapshot ist möglicherweise ungültig, und die Sicherung kann möglicherweise nicht zur Wiederherstellung verwendet werden. Erkundigen Sie sich beim Anbieter der Sicherungsanwendung nach der Kompatibilität mit freigegebenen Clustervolumes."

short translation: A backup application initiated a VSS-Snapshot of a CSV without proper preparation. Ask the provider of the backup solution about compatibility with CSV.

Since DPM2010 should support protection of virtual servers on CSV, I don't understand the warning and would like to avoid it.

The cluster consists of 2008-R2 Core Servers with updates + hotfixes: KB975354 and KB975921. Any Idea what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:31 AM
  • I Have the same problem on out Hyper-V cluster that is backup up wih DPM 2010. Anyone has a solution?
    Friday, July 9, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi

When backing up CSV Hyper-V enviroment without having a SAN that uses a VSS hardware providor there a two options:

1) Put a every VM i a own PG and do the express-full backup at different times

2) Enabling serialized backup of Hyper-V CSV Cluster

To enable serialized backup of Hyper-V CSV Cluster follow the instructions in my blog: http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/07/enabling-serialized-backup-of-hyper-v.html

BR

/Robban

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

thank's.  I need remove string "volume" at line 35.

Jirka Vana

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi Mabene,

It helps a lot if you can mark a post as Answer if it solves the problem. Helps us in tracking. I am marking the above post as proposed solution. Please feel free to unmark the solution if the problem still persists.

Thanks,

Parag Agrawal

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hello,

I also have this error in testing of a CSV. Our SAN is Datacore San Melody(ISCSI). If i enable serialized backup , will this effect backup and restore times?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Bump! :)
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:57 AM