none
Taks item dissappears RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure what is going on here so maybe some can shed some light.  I am trying to modify this 2010 Microsoft project schedule by lengthening a few of the tasks and inserting some new tasks.  Task Id #17, if the predecessor of 16 is removed it shows up at the project start date.  If 16 is added as the predecessor in 17 the 17-19 disappear from the gant chart. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

The file can be downloaded from my server at the following link MPP file

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:45 AM

All replies

• 0. All of your tasks are (correctly) "automatically scheduled", so their dates are driven by sequential logic (e.g. their predecessors and constraints.)

1. By removing/deleting Task 16, you have removed the primary driver for Task 17's start, so Project assumes it can start at the project's start date.  This is normal behavior.  Advice: don't remove a predecessor without truly understanding the logical consequences.

2. Your Tasks 17-19 are disappearing because they are "Critical" tasks with no progress, and someone has removed the "Critical Tasks" bar from your Tracking Gantt view.  To quick fix, right click on the chart area, open the "Bar Styles" window, then select/click on the "Critical Progress" row.  Click the "Cut Row" button, then click the "Paste Row" button twice.  Rename one of the bars "Critical Tasks," and change its "From" and "To" values to Task Start and Task Finish.  Now you will see the critical tasks.  (I'd also advise you to change "Critical Progress" from red to dark blue or black.)

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:24 AM
  • mackconsult,

rather than messing about in the bar styles, although it is easy enough to do, just check the critical tasks box on the format ribbon. When you do this, MSP automatically makes the change to the bar styles and you will see that bars for 17, 18, 19 reappear, as well as any other critical tasks bars which had disappeared.

Observations/suggestions:

No line 0. Format tab, then check the project summary task box.
    All tasks auto scheduled - good.
    No status date set. Status Date should be set in project, project information.
    Entire tasks and parts of tasks scheduled in the past.
    No predecessors/successors on summaries - good.
    Some tasks have no predecessor.
    Some tasks have no successor.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:00 AM