App-v 5.0 sp1 Outlook 2010 and Lync Issues RRS feed

• Question

• We have sequenced and deployed Outlook 2010 with Lync and deployed to Virtual desktops. We are having 2 issues 

1. Lync does not auto load at start up and has to be manually launched

2. The every time a user logs in it has to download emails from the exchange sever so it is not retaining a local copy.

I have searched the web, but have been unable to find a resolution 

Any help would be great 

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:09 PM

Answers

• How are you managing the user profiles? Is HKCU\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem being reset some how?

The Outlook profile should be not be being reset at each logon. Presumably you have multiple .OST files in %LOCALAPPDATA% as a result.

There is no way to write the startup value to the real registry, as writes will never end up there. You'll need to find another way, such as add a shortcut to the user's Startup Start menu folder.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by Lotus8 Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:31 PM
  • The startup folder option worked thanks , this can be set through gpo a couple of different ways as well, the outlook issue was in the roaming profile setting for citrix it was dumping the OST at log off. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:39 PM

All replies

• Did you follow this article? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830069/en-gb
    • Are Office and Lync in the same package? What about the rest of Office?
    • Have you tested this with Outlook/Office in it's own package (without Lync)?
    • Lync probably isn't starting automatically because the option to start automatically is being written to the virtualised registry, not the real registry.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Yes that's the exact article I used. Both were sequenced in the same package the full Office 2010 pro plus suite. Everything else is working correctly except the 2 issues. You are correct that the Lync communicator folder is not present on the host registry which is were the auto log in value is set. Is there a way to fix that ?

I have tested Office without Lync and the email issue is still present. 

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:19 PM
  • How are you managing the user profiles? Is HKCU\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem being reset some how?

The Outlook profile should be not be being reset at each logon. Presumably you have multiple .OST files in %LOCALAPPDATA% as a result.

There is no way to write the startup value to the real registry, as writes will never end up there. You'll need to find another way, such as add a shortcut to the user's Startup Start menu folder.

• Marked as answer by Lotus8 Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:31 PM
  • The startup folder option worked thanks , this can be set through gpo a couple of different ways as well, the outlook issue was in the roaming profile setting for citrix it was dumping the OST at log off. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:39 PM
  • In RDS or XenApp environments you should disable cached mode in Outlook, which is actually the default setting. There is a white paper on enabling cached mode under RDS, but the performance implications of doing so should be understood.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:16 PM