Major Problem - MSVBVM60.DLL - I can't access anything... RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed a MAJOR problem - that has completely and utterly crippled my Vista based laptop.

After downloading some important documents, I tried Unzipping them to realize that WINRAR wasn't working, I tried other programs including ADAWARE

All of them gave me this error message; "The application failed to intialize properly"

So I decided to find a tutorial to fix the problem (my browsers still work but no application will start, including going into control panel)

http://www.opssys.com/instantkb/article.aspx?id=10176

I followed this tutorial which led me to :  The dreaded MSVBVM60.dll

When I tried to edit, I was told I didn't have permission and that lovely windows TrustedInstaller had full control. I am now at a loss of what to do next. I tried to get a clean .dll and replace it, and it didnt work - copying it to desktop and deleting the old one, didnt work - I am basically confined to going online - and I can't check anything, except for folders. No control panel, no programs, no CTRL ALT DELETE no nothing

What would you guys reccommend? I am sure this is caused by a virus but I would still like to figure out a way around this until I can get my XP disc over here (next month, as it's in an empty house in Minnesota) and reinstall from a clean slate.

Thanks guys
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This .dll file is not allowed to modifi by default in Windows Vista. If you want to modify, you can rigth click on it and then go to security->advanced->owner. Change the owner of .dll from trustedinstaller to administrator. Please note to backup before performing any modification.

Also, if this problem does not occur before, you can try to restore system to a previous status to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:23 AM