none
BITS 3.0 Bandwith Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 
    I am looking for a way to set BITS 3.0 / 4.0 bandwidth settings on various servers using a script, for organizational reasons it is not possible to adjust the values ​​by GPO. 

For BITS 2.0, there are registry entries to make these setting, these registry values ​​reflect the setting "Maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers," in the local computer policy. 

I've changed  the setting in the local computer policy, but the registry values were not created so in the case of BITS 3.0 / 4.0 i suspect the values ​​are no longer effective.

Does anyone know a way to change these settings via script, preferable remotely? 

Thanks in advance!
    Rolf

Monday, June 16, 2014 9:23 AM

Answers

• You cannot do what you are thinking.  Open MMC on the local computer:

\computer configuration\Administrative Templates/Network/Background Intelligent Transfer

You can set this from MMC on any computer as long as you are an Admin on that computer. 

If you attempt to set the policy locally via the registry it is likely to be overwritten by the domain GP.    Since 2/3 BITS use different configurations the GP will resolve this correctly. If the domain has already throttled you then you cannot override it even directly.

I have two domains where we throttle BITS in the daytime for obvious reasons.  It cannot be bypassed by design.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 16, 2014 3:32 PM

All replies

• We use Group Policy to do this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362844(v=vs.85).aspx

Please post future questions on this to the GP forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply jrv,

if I could use Group Policys, then I would do that too. 

As I have mentioned in my question this is not possible for organizational reasons and your link is not helpful for me. 
    I need a way to change the local Group Policy via script, and i think regarding "scripting" this forum should be fine.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:23 PM
  • for organizational reasons it is not possible to adjust the values ​​by GPO.

Why?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:28 PM
  • The guys who are managing the GPO's here are in a different Department than the guys who are managing the servers, due to bureaucracy it will take a few days to implement changes to GPO's but for the BITS changes we need the possibility to set the settings immedietly and because those settings are not configured in the Domain GPO's it would be the easiest to change BITS settings in the local policy.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:35 PM

\computer configuration\Administrative Templates/Network/Background Intelligent Transfer

You can set this from MMC on any computer as long as you are an Admin on that computer. 

If you attempt to set the policy locally via the registry it is likely to be overwritten by the domain GP.    Since 2/3 BITS use different configurations the GP will resolve this correctly. If the domain has already throttled you then you cannot override it even directly.

I have two domains where we throttle BITS in the daytime for obvious reasons.  It cannot be bypassed by design.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 16, 2014 3:32 PM
  • The guys who are managing the GPO's here are in a different Department than the guys who are managing the servers, due to bureaucracy it will take a few days to implement changes to GPO's but for the BITS changes we need the possibility to set the settings immedietly and because those settings are not configured in the Domain GPO's it would be the easiest to change BITS settings in the local policy.

I recommend going through the official channels. Presumably these policies are in place for a good reason. Without change control you're working in an unapproved state that may cause unexpected problems later.

Monday, June 16, 2014 3:55 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for your answer jrv,

when i understand you correctly i'm able to set BITS settings via Registryalso for BITS 3? I've only found Keys for BITS 2.0, do you have a link or something for the BITS 3.0 settings?

The GPO Part of BITS is "not configured" so my settings wouldn't be overwritten.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:43 AM

I recommend going through the official channels. Presumably these policies are in place for a good reason. Without change control you're working in an unapproved state that may cause unexpected problems later.

Bill, believe me or not, i know what i'm doing (or like to do) and i'm only on search for a technical solution, not guidance regarding (ITIL) processes.

Don't missunderstand me, i'm thankfull for any help but we're discussing things which can't be changed in the near future and not the technical question i've asked in the beginning.

best regards

Rolf

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:49 AM
  • Please use your search engine to find registry settings.  You can also reverse engineer the GOP mechanism.

I recommend just using MMC to alter these settings.  It is a one time thing and would be easiest.

I would search for "BITS 3.0 registry"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Your question is about how to bypass policy by changing the registry directly.

The answer is that we don't recommend doing that.

Editing policy data directly in the registry is not the approved method, for two main reasons:

1. The registry data is an implementation detail and as such is subject to change without notice

2. GPO refresh will overwrite manually configured information at the next refresh

There are probably other reasons but these are the first two that come to mind.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:01 PM
  • If you're looking to apply local policies, I think the LGPO Utilities might be able to help you. You need to look at the following two utilites:

Apply_LGPO_Delta:
    This takes as input a text file with registry values, and applies them to the local policy (into the registry policy files) (it can handle security templates, too, but I'm pretty sure you're looking for registry policy). To use it successfully, you need to know the location of the registry keys/values. To find that out, you can use the ImportRegPol utility.

ImportRegPol:
    This will read contents from registry.pol policy files (the binary files that store local policy registry settings) and output them to a text file. It can also be used to actually import settings from the policy files, but I find it easier to use it to parse the binary files and deal with the resulting text files.

I would read up on the documentation first. After that, you're pretty much looking at doing the following on a reference computer:

1. Run ImportRegPol against the machine policy (C:\windows\system32\grouppolicy\Machine\Registry.pol) with the /parseonly switch
    2. Use the local policy editor MMC snap-in to make the change(s) that you would like applied to the target computers
    3. Repeate step 1, but save the output to a different file
    4. Compare the output files from #1 and #3, and save the new entries to a text file (those should be the changes you are after).

Then you can use that text file as input to Apply_LGPO_Delta.exe on the computers that you would like to apply the policy changes to.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:31 PM