Slow shared folder upload to Virtual PC! RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to preview windows home server on the consideration to buy it.  Instead of building separate hardware I decided to cobble together a virtual machine with the WHS install.  The first operation I wanted to test was backup which was taking extremely long for just 60GB's.  I cancelled because it was taking too long and I decided to just try a file transfer and noticed that pushing from my Windows 7 Pro box to my WHS virtual machine I was getting < 30KB/s.  I immediately gave up and tried a transfer the other way getting at least 25MB/s.  I tried all the network settings but had to stay with the shared physical adapter to even get file sharing to work this way.  I am not CPU/memory bound/disk.  I read many problems with this on the net but no answers.  A)  Can you answer this?  B)  Where do I open an MS ticket to get the issue fixed in a future build.  

E6600 2.4ghz

4GB DDR

Dual SSD's in RAID0 config with > 150MB/s sustained throughput.  

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

which type of Virtual disk you are using? Try fixed VHD. You can also try VMware Player, which is free and can give you better CPU performance for your home server.

• Proposed as answer by Jiří Janata Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:20 PM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:24 PM