How do you add new Startup programs in Wndows 10?

Question

• I know that in Windows 10 - the startup programs are now listed under the Task Manager>Startup tab.  And that is great - but how do I add additional software apps to the startup list?  For example Google Chrome web browser is in my startup tab on default - but how do I add Firefox or Internet Explorer or even MS Word to the startup list so they are in there permanently?

Andrew

Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:27 PM

Answers

• simply place a shortcut in the following locationC:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:59 PM
  • Go to the program you want to add to StartUp > right click at the program > click Create Shortcut > save it to a folder or to your desktop > right click at the shortcut > click Copy.

Open Run > at the Run box, type %AppData% > click OK .

You are now on Roaming window > right side, click open Microsoft > scroll down and click open Windows > click open Start Menu > click open Programs > click open Startup

you are now at Startup window > right side, right click at an open spot > click Paste > the program you want to add is now in the Startup.

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:00 AM
  • If I may here's another way for your consideration... I suggest it's pretty quick, easy & simple.

> All Applications
    Find the program you want
    Rt Clk > Open File Location
    Grab its shortcut & just drag-n-drop it to the Startup folder or its window & hit Copy

Done :D <--- big smile

No need for Run box.

However, that said, I will add, as an aside, it is "Best Practice" to have nothing running @ Startup.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 3:46 AM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 3:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 3:46 AM

All replies

• simply place a shortcut in the following locationC:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:59 PM
  • Go to the program you want to add to StartUp > right click at the program > click Create Shortcut > save it to a folder or to your desktop > right click at the shortcut > click Copy.

Open Run > at the Run box, type %AppData% > click OK .

You are now on Roaming window > right side, click open Microsoft > scroll down and click open Windows > click open Start Menu > click open Programs > click open Startup

you are now at Startup window > right side, right click at an open spot > click Paste > the program you want to add is now in the Startup.

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:00 AM
  • Just to add AppData is hidden by default ,so you need to enable hidden files, folders and drives via Folder Options.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:07 AM
  • If I may here's another way for your consideration... I suggest it's pretty quick, easy & simple.

> All Applications
    Grab its shortcut & just drag-n-drop it to the Startup folder or its window & hit Copy

No need for Run box.

However, that said, I will add, as an aside, it is "Best Practice" to have nothing running @ Startup.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 3:46 AM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 3:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 3:46 AM

> All Applications

No need for Run box.

Cheers,
    Drew

...............Grab its shortcut & just drag-n-drop it to the Startup folder or its window & hit Copy...............

How do you call up Startup folder with or without Run box ?

• Edited by david hk129 Monday, October 27, 2014 4:30 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:18 AM
  • I just drill down to it via fastest, shortest route

Start menu > (User) Name folder > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs & there is Startup folder

Takes several hours less time to do it than to write out the path, LOL

Cheers,
    Drew

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 4:31 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:31 AM
  • How much faster between your method and mine ?

Seems to me both are the same.

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 27, 2014 4:44 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:37 AM

Then, use either, as you like, right?  There's often more than 1 way to do things.  No worries.

Cheers,
    Drew

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:45 AM

Then, use either, as you like, right?  There's often more than 1 way to do things.  No worries.

Cheers,
    Drew

True. No argument from me.
    Monday, October 27, 2014 4:46 AM

• However, that said, I will add, as an aside, it is "Best Practice" to have nothing running @ Startup.

Best practice by who?  I agree that you want to minimize startups but there are some apps various people want to include at startup. A third party Anti Virus program comes to mind....

Jerry

Monday, October 27, 2014 6:12 PM

• However, that said, I will add, as an aside, it is "Best Practice" to have nothing running @ Startup.

Best practice by who?  I agree that you want to minimize startups but there are some apps various people want to include at startup. A third party Anti Virus program comes to mind....

Jerry

Yes, those can be an exception.  Was referring to things running unnecessarily @ startup.  Sorry, should have qualified. 

Cheers,
    Drew

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:36 PM