none
[Default setting] as winning GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

We are trying to track down a GPO which is setting a policy so we can determine which machines it applies to. On several of the machines that have the setting, when we run gpresult or run the Group Policy Wizard in GPMC it lists [Default setting] as the winning GPO. There is no policy called Default setting or [Default setting]. None of the other GPOs have brackets. Where are these machines inheriting this setting from?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research and test, I get the same behavior as yours. I suppose that should be an expected behavior. I assume that the client has applied the setting earlier but removed now.

Here are the test steps in my lab, for your reference:

1. Check group policy result on client before configure policy setting “Certificate service client”, the setting was not listed in group policy result.
    2. Create a new GPO named “Test GPO”, change the setting as “Enabled” then apply the GPO to client.
    3. Change the setting as “Not Configured” then refresh Group Policy on client.
    4. Check group policy result, the winning GPO changed to [Default setting].
    5. Change the setting as “disabled”, re-link the GPO and refresh Group Policy on client.
    6. Check group policy result, the Winning GPO is “Test GPO”.
    7. Un-link the GPO then refresh Group Policy on client.
    8. Check the group policy result, the Winning GPO is [Default setting] and the status is “Enabled”.
    9. Restart the client, then check group policy result again, the Winning GPO still is [Default setting] and the status is “Enabled”.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 26, 2018 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:19 AM
  • > There is no policy called Default setting or [Default setting]. None of the other GPOs have brackets. Where are these machines inheriting this setting from?

No inheritance... If you configure some distinct elements in a GPO, the GP client will automatically take into account some related settings that are required. If these are NOT defined within a GPO, it will use the local system's default settings, and it will add them to the RSoP log. Hard to explain better for me - I'm not native english :)

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:47 AM
  • Did you get anywhere on this? I'm seeing this too.
    Monday, September 24, 2018 10:18 PM