SUP and WSUS on the same server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My SCCM environment as follows:
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Configuration Manager 2012 R2, SQL 2012 SP1 CU7
    WSUS 6.3.9600.163.84 . All these running on the same server.
    SCCM SUP role is enabled, WSUS using SQL Express database. This is Central and Primary site server as well.

Issue is:
    1. SUP does not get updates. SUP is configured to get updates from Internet and WSUS console Sync options pointing to its own server name. I tried to change WSUS console sync option to internet couple of times but it looks WSUS changes this back.
    2. I want to use WSUS/SUP for SCCM Endpoint definitions update and also for patch installation for clients (Clients Windows update pointing to this server)

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:29 AM

Answers

• Have you configured the WSUS someway?

You could try removing the SUP -role and the WSUS from the server, then you could re-add WSUS -role to the server and after that install the SUP -role to ConfigMgr. You should not configure or touch the WSUS at all.

Guide for installing WSUS on Server 2012 for ConfigMgr usage:

http://prajwaldesai.com/installing-wsus-for-configuration-manager-2012-r2/

Monday, March 31, 2014 3:37 AM
  • What do you mean that this is a Central and Primary site server? Those two roles can not be installed on the same site server.

When it comes to SUP in ConfigMgr, the installation process on WS 2012 is basically this:

1. Install the Windows Server Update Services role, run the initial configuration wizard.
    2. Install a SUP site system role on the server and let ConfigMgr configure everything.

Additionally I'd not run a SQL Express for the WSUS since you already have SQL installed. Instead I'd create the SUSDB on the same SQL server that you're running the ConfigMgr DB on.

In my preprequisites installation tool, all you need to do is to open a PowerShell console, run the tool and click on the Install WSUS button, specify the SQL Server and the tool will automatically configure everything. When the tool has completed, you can go ahead and add the SUP from ConfigMgr and configure it from the ConfigMgr console.

You'll find the tool here:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-2012-R2-e52919cd

Regards,

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @Nickolaja

• Marked as answer by Satya-KR Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:50 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 6:37 AM

All replies

• Have you configured the WSUS someway?

You could try removing the SUP -role and the WSUS from the server, then you could re-add WSUS -role to the server and after that install the SUP -role to ConfigMgr. You should not configure or touch the WSUS at all.

Guide for installing WSUS on Server 2012 for ConfigMgr usage:

http://prajwaldesai.com/installing-wsus-for-configuration-manager-2012-r2/

Monday, March 31, 2014 3:37 AM
  • What do you mean that this is a Central and Primary site server? Those two roles can not be installed on the same site server.

When it comes to SUP in ConfigMgr, the installation process on WS 2012 is basically this:

1. Install the Windows Server Update Services role, run the initial configuration wizard.
    2. Install a SUP site system role on the server and let ConfigMgr configure everything.

Additionally I'd not run a SQL Express for the WSUS since you already have SQL installed. Instead I'd create the SUSDB on the same SQL server that you're running the ConfigMgr DB on.

In my preprequisites installation tool, all you need to do is to open a PowerShell console, run the tool and click on the Install WSUS button, specify the SQL Server and the tool will automatically configure everything. When the tool has completed, you can go ahead and add the SUP from ConfigMgr and configure it from the ConfigMgr console.

You'll find the tool here:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-2012-R2-e52919cd

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Satya-KR Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:50 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 6:37 AM
  • Please donot use WSUS Console to configure the sync setting. You need to configure this setting in Software Update Point in SCCM.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 31, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Thanks a lot narcoticoo, nickolaj and Juke.

I have removed WSUS and SUP roles from SCCM.
    Added WSUS role using SQL server database, did not do any configuration. Added SUP role.

Now everything seems to be fine.

Can I use this WSUS for windows updates for servers? (not through software updates in SCCM. Using group policy server windows update pointing to this WSUS)

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Regards,
    Satya

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Can I use this WSUS for windows updates for servers? (not through software updates in SCCM. Using group policy server windows update pointing to this WSUS)

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Regards,
    Satya

No you cannot. If you want to use WSUS for servers, you have to configure additional WSUS server to do this. Why don't you use ConfigMgr to update your servers through SUP also?

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Once that you've installed a SUP on a server (even if its local on the Primary/Secondary site) you cannot use that WSUS instance for any other purpose, or you'll break the integration against ConfigMgr. What you'd have to do is to setup another server with WSUS on if you wish to use it for other pusposes.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:28 AM