USB hard drive not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• This may be an issue with minitool-drivewipe since it occured after I installed this program.  I have since uninstalled it, but the problem remains.  When I insert a USB hard drive there is some activity in the taskbar, it quits, but the drive is not seen in the Explorer.  A USB thumb drive is shown; howerer, there are two instances on the screen.  I do not get the popup asking what to do with the drive that was just inserted.

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:24 AM

Answers

• Finally had to do a system restore to a previous backed up version.  Then the problem was solved.  Never actually fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by wwolfe01 Monday, August 14, 2017 10:12 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:12 AM

All replies

• See if the following fixes the problem.

[Fix] Drives Appearing Twice in Navigation Pane of Windows 10 Explorer “This PC”

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:42 AM
  • Is there a reg key that allows NTFS formatted USB drives to be or not to be detected.  Some old threads on the subject say that NTFS formatted USB drives could not be detected.  I have two laptops.  Both run W10 and the old one can detect NTFS USB drives.  This change on my newer machine just happened this weekend.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 1:59 AM
  • The dual appearance of a drive in Explorer is resolved.  When I plug a USB HD into the system, Explorer and my backup sw do not see it.  It is shown in the Device Manager.  Any thoughts?  I would rather not do a system restore to a working configuration of a few weeks ago.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Please refer to this Microsoft help article for help. I suggest to try the method 2, from Disk Management ,right click on the drive and change drive letter.

My Drive does not appear in Windows Explorer view

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/330140/my-drive-does-not-appear-in-windows-explorer-view

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:48 AM
  • In Disk Management the USB had no drive letter assigned.  I assigned a drive letter and now it shows in Explorer.  The only issue is that this does not stick.  If I remove and reinsert the USB drive I have to go through the process again.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Thinking about it there must be a process than runs when a USB hard drive is inserted in the PC that assigns a drive letter to the USB hard drive.  This process must be crashing.  How can I copy files that may have been corrupted from a backup drive to my hard drive?

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Your idea is reasonable. In my opinion, since this USB drive can be recognized normally on your old computer, the current problem should be caused by the new laptop, I suspect that the USB drive’s driver is corrupted on the new laptop.

Besides directly copy, there is other way to move files from one place to another place, such as share folder, Skype or Cloud storage disk, if you could get files on one computer, then you can use these methods to move files to your hard disk.

Finally, I suggest to execute a repair upgrade on your new laptop, download original iso image from official website, then use it to upgrade, after this insert USB drive again to test, remember don’t install any security software.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Thanks for you continued interest in my problem.

1 - I have checked the driver and it is up to date.

2 - I ran the install upgrade.  It seemed to run to completion.  The secure boot option in the BIOS was disabled, Widows Defender is turned off, and all Norton options were disabled.  I saw some changes in the system settings and some register entries that I had changed reverted to their default settings.  But the problem remains.

I find that if I manually assign a drive letter (F) to one USB drive, it will stick when I plug and unplug that USB drive.  If I assign a separate drive letter (G) to a second USB drive it will also stick.  The system will not assign a drive letter to a USB drive automatically.  I am tempted to create an W10 installation disk using the Media Creation Tool and do a clean install of W10.  Even after running the install upgrade the sytem takes a long time to boot up and run whatever programs are in the startup profile.

Thanks

Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Find Your Missing USB Drive in Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22251/find-your-missing-usb-drive-in-windows-7-vista/

External Drive Not Recognized? This Is How To Fix It In Windows
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/external-drive-not-recognized-this-is-how-to-fix-it-in-windows/

--------------------------------

Some 3rd party antivirus cause issues with USB drives.

There could be an issue with the BIOS and chipset drivers so check with
    your System/Motherboard maker to ensure you have the latest available.

You may need to check with your external drive's maker, maybe there is an issue
    with its Windows 10 compatibility.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT - Windows Insider MVP : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Sunday, March 5, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Up until about three weeks ago everything was working fine.  I ran a memory diagnostic that showed no errors.  I ran the windows install upgrade, but this has not resolved the issue.  I was careful to disable secure boot in the BIOS and disabled all the Norton software.  The issue affects several USB hard drives from different manufactures.  If I thought a clean windows install would solve the problem I would do it, but I am not confident that would work.    
    Friday, March 10, 2017 11:28 PM
  • You can't just disable Norton as it will still load pieces of itself so you need to fully uninstall it and then run the Norton Removal Tool to prevent remnant which can still cause many strange issues.

Check for updates to the BIOS and chipset drivers.

Does not matter if it happened yesterday, it could still be hardware or any of the possible causes we have outlined.

Since it affect many drives then it has to be systematic.

A clean install would help to rule out almost all software causes except for BIOS, chipset drivers, and a few low loading drivers (such as video).

Don't troubleshoot with the "it can't be that" approach, check everything you can in as logical order as you can.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT - Windows Insider MVP : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:13 AM
  • Well did all this; updated BIOS and the Intel chip set, Uninstalled Norton,  and then ran install update.  No solution here.

Not optimistic about a clean install.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Have you tried the drives on other computers?

If they work on other systems then the issue has to be either your Windows install or the hardware.

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:59 PM
  • The USB drives work on by backup laptop.  I also noticed that when I plug my digital camera into this laptop I don't get the popup asking what program do I want to use with the camera.   This is also a symptom of the problem.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:16 PM
  • If you have checked BIOS, chipset drivers, and tried other ports it does sound like you have a hardware or need a new Windows Install. You could try a Powered USB Hub (and not all of your computer ports are powered).

Try a Repair Installation which allows you to keep the programs and data though redundant backups are always a good idea. If that does not help then a clean install would be the next step.

How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:24 PM
  • Finally had to do a system restore to a previous backed up version.  Then the problem was solved.  Never actually fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by wwolfe01 Monday, August 14, 2017 10:12 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:12 AM