none
WSUS 3.0 with SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• Wasn't sure whether to ask this question here or in the SCCM forums, but thought I'd start here. SCCM is supposed to "control" the WSUS settings it uses, however in our situation we're using WSUS to also deploy Forefront definitions. Used the document from the Forefront group about how to integrate it with SCCM. So far so good. However, when I configure the downstream servers, should they be setup as replica servers, or "stand-alone" servers. Most of these are going to be on a SCCM Secondary site (no SQL database) using the default website (not my choice, but what was installed when I took over) and the internal MS database. The thought is that all clients will use the Secondary sites as their source for the updates when they're deployed, but because Forefront is semi-independent of this scheme, I'm a little confused as to how to configure the WSUS for the Forefront piece to keep working. My inclination is that simply configuring the auto-approval for Forefront definitions, and syncing with the upstream server all will be OK. However, I'd appreciate it if anyone can burst my bubble of naiveté (if that's what I'm operating under) and tell me NONONO...you need to do it this way, or even, Wellll...you really should do it this way.

Appreciate in advance all help and advice.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• However, when I configure the downstream servers, should they be setup as replica servers, or "stand-alone" servers.
    If your intent is to manage this from SCCM, then they need to be replica servers.
    My inclination is that simply configuring the auto-approval for Forefront definitions, and syncing with the upstream server all will be OK

Forefront leverages the Windows Update Agent to find it's definition updates from wherever the Windows Update Agent is configured to scan for updates. As long as you approve the FCS Definition Updates on the WSUS server (or from the SCCM console for the SUP when downstream servers are configured as replicas), then everything will work just fine.

But... yes... actually the correct forum to inquire about SCCM/WSUS/SUP operations and administration would be the

Configuration Manager Software Updates Management Forum

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:03 PM