"Re-"Activation after hardware installation?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft,
    First, I had this problem few months ago but, about this windows activiation. I have a windows vista home basic and i've been running this operating system for over 3 years until now. However, these past few months i bought a new RAM to be added onto my motherboard after that everytime i turned on my computer it requires an activation?

I have already activated my windows vista and it won't let me re-activate it because its obvious that i have already used it once.
    So how can i re-activate this?.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:45 PM

Answers

• Vista's version of WGA is  very complex, and occasionally mistakes 'simple' changes (such as adding RAM, chaning BIOS settings, or flashing a new BIOS) as 'excessive' changes, causing it to prompt for reactivation.
    When it failed reactivation, the system should have given you a phone munber to call.
    However, you can re-run Windows activation, and fix it.
    Read this http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product_key_already_in_use.htm  for full instructions.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Michael9242 Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:22 PM

All replies

• Vista's version of WGA is  very complex, and occasionally mistakes 'simple' changes (such as adding RAM, chaning BIOS settings, or flashing a new BIOS) as 'excessive' changes, causing it to prompt for reactivation.
    When it failed reactivation, the system should have given you a phone munber to call.
    However, you can re-run Windows activation, and fix it.
    Read this http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product_key_already_in_use.htm  for full instructions.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Michael9242 Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  Thanks For The Help.
    Also, will I be able to use the same process incase the same thing happens again in the future?
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:28 PM
  • You're welcome.
    And, yes, you should be able to.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Thanks, I much appreciate it.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:42 PM