Stop Script running against Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Morning All,

We have an issue where the SQL management pack is giving us an error becuase it doesn't have relevant access to run a  .vbs script. The scripts that SCOM is trying to run is is the following GetSQL2012SPNState.vbs and GetSQL2012DBFileGroupFreeSpace.vbs plus numerous others.

So my question is how do i track down which rule is trying to run this script? I would like to stop SCOM running these particular scripts against the servers.

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2019 9:17 AM

Answers

• Grab the script name and search it in systemcenter.wiki, once you find the rule/monitor running it, disable it.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:14 AM
  • In your case you are actually searching for an element (the datasaource where the script is used), so you don't know its Id. 

But as you already noticed, if there is no match for the exact string you entered, it will do a google search, which is perfectly fine : systemcenter.wiki is extremely well indexed.

You could actually directely search on google using "site:systemcenter.wiki", that would work just as fine.

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, January 25, 2019 10:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sameer Mhaisekar Friday, January 25, 2019 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:10 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:58 AM

All replies

• Grab the script name and search it in systemcenter.wiki, once you find the rule/monitor running it, disable it.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Is there any search functionality on that site? The scripts im looking for are 

GetSQL2012DBFilesFreeSpace.vbs
    GetSQL2014DBFilesFreeSpace.vbs

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:25 AM
  • I agree on searching in systemcenter.wiki but I would try to figure out what they are supposed to do and why they are not working before disabling them!
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:25 AM
  • We know what they do but because of the way we currently have our setup we are unable to give the servers access to particular locations so these scripts are failing on 50+ servers. 

We are getting hundreds of alerts at the moment regarding these. I just need to work out the Rule causing the script to run. 

Can anyone help in finding this?

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:40 AM
  • Friday, January 25, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Note that these scripts are not directly used by monitors or rules, but rather by datasources.

A single datasource can be used by many rules and monitors, so once you are on a datasource details page, you need to click on the "show references" button to identify all the rules/monitors/other datasources that actually rely on it.

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hi, I dont know what the element ID actually is and when I do a search it just does a google search

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:51 AM
  • In your case you are actually searching for an element (the datasaource where the script is used), so you don't know its Id. 

But as you already noticed, if there is no match for the exact string you entered, it will do a google search, which is perfectly fine : systemcenter.wiki is extremely well indexed.

You could actually directely search on google using "site:systemcenter.wiki", that would work just as fine.

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, January 25, 2019 10:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sameer Mhaisekar Friday, January 25, 2019 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:10 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

did you manage to figure it out? Appreciate the feedback and thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:13 AM