remove "save your files" warning/information message RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone.  Been doing much searching and am trying to remove the warning/information box that comes up when you log onto an accout that has been locked called, "save your files" (first box to come up).  The message basically tells the user to save any information to an external media device.  I don't want this message to come up as this is a public PC and the user will not need to save anything (there won't be anything to save).  PC is generally going to be used to access one specific website for logging in purposes and logout.  Any help?  Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Pete, we can disable bubble.exe in startup items and the notification will no longer appear.

1.       Click start, go to Run (Or use Win+R button).

2.       Type msconfig and press enter.

3.       Uncheck the item bubble.exe under startup tab.

Let's check if this helps.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:52 AM

All replies

• I've also been searching for an answer on this. The message previously used to just show up in the system show as a small pop-up (which wasn't as intrusive), but after installing the latest version of Steadystate (I'm unsure of the previous version - it was installed by a former tech), it now launches a standard windows dialog box, to which the user needs to click OK in order to close it.

I'm in the same situation as snoopyspaz where I have selected the "Prevent write access to USB storage devices", so the actual "Save your files" message is not relevant.

Any help in removing this alert would be great. Thanks!

Pete

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:45 PM
  •  

Hi Pete, we can disable bubble.exe in startup items and the notification will no longer appear.

1.       Click start, go to Run (Or use Win+R button).

2.       Type msconfig and press enter.

3.       Uncheck the item bubble.exe under startup tab.

Let's check if this helps.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Don't know why you would need to disable bubble.exe. I'm using the latest version and mine pops up in the system tray and goes away pretty quickly so no one would see it, unless a staff member is logging the person in for them to see it. I for one like the pop up but we allow folks to save files to flash drives, even from our OPAC's. Don't know why you wouldn't.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Excellent, worked for me.  Thanks Sean.

Reason I don't want any popups or any access to any media is this system is going to have access to only an inhouse web app basically used as a time card.  No need for media, web access (outside of the organization) or really anything at all.  System has been watered down for this purpose.  Happy so far and can't wait for Vista capable Steady State to come out.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Peter

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:20 PM
  • sorry!!
    friend i don't know the answer of this query.But i dont understand why do you want to remove that?I know its a public pc and you don't need that message in it but if in future if need arises of saving any thing by the public only then what will you do?so i don't think that there is necessity to remove that message.Rest on you whatever you like its your pc.
    goodbye
    san190587
    Used Applel Laptos

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:05 PM
  •  

Well, since I feel like alot of people (maybe 2 or 3 Wink ) think this is not the best idea, here's the purpose of this PC.  The reason I want the PC to be as locked down as possible is this PC is on an isolated netowkr (no internet access) and it is for paroled inmates to check-in before meeting with their parole officers.  The PC will only have access to a site on one of our servers for checking in purposes only.  In this environment, I think it is best to have the PC as locked down as possible.  As for other purposes, such as the locked down PCs I have for our library public PCs, I do allow for users to save files to other media devices as needed as well as a whole slew of other features needed in a library invironment.  Hope that helps clear up the air on why Smile

Peter

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:05 PM
  •  snoopyspaz wrote:

Happy so far and can't wait for Vista capable Steady State to come out.

Hi,

SteadyState v2.5 was released in June and supports Vista Smile

Thanks,

Rob

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:52 AM
  •  snoopyspaz wrote:

Well, since I feel like alot of people (maybe 2 or 3 Wink ) think this is not the best idea, here's the purpose of this PC.  The reason I want the PC to be as locked down as possible is this PC is on an isolated netowkr (no internet access) and it is for paroled inmates to check-in before meeting with their parole officers.  The PC will only have access to a site on one of our servers for checking in purposes only.  In this environment, I think it is best to have the PC as locked down as possible.  As for other purposes, such as the locked down PCs I have for our library public PCs, I do allow for users to save files to other media devices as needed as well as a whole slew of other features needed in a library invironment.  Hope that helps clear up the air on why Smile

Peter

Paroled inmates? In that case make it simple. Use a time clock. Why waste your time with headaches you don't need?
    Monday, July 21, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Is there a way to edit the text of the message that appears in this bubble.exe file? Or is it just easier to run a start up script to pop up a message box?
    Monday, August 4, 2008 8:31 PM