none
DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Storage group RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am using Exchange 2007 and DPM 2010 for exchange mailbox backup. I have almost 10 storage group and 10 Database in exchange server. Recently i got and error during the database backup. 9 database can backup without error only one database can not backup and got the following error.

Type:    Tape backup
    Description:    DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Storage group RDL on mail since the last synchronization.

(ID 30216 Details:Unspecified error (0x80004005))
        More information
    End time:    3/4/2013 2:12:54 PM
    Start time:    3/4/2013 2:12:22 PM
    Time elapsed:    00:00:32
    Data transferred:    0 MB
    Cluster node    -
    Source details:    RDL
    Protection group:    RAMAIL2
    Library:    Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-4 drive
    Tape Label (Barcode):    RAMAIL2-00000002 (None)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:19 AM

All replies

• It is most likely that another task is backing up or truncating/shrinking that database log or a VHD backup is taking place (is the serer that holds that copy of the database virtual?).

If an Exchange database is in full recovery mode rather than using circular logging and DPM is set to run synchronisations on the database at regular intervals before each express full daily, it will expect no gap in the log files so that it has a contiguous history of logs between each Express Full. If something else is backing up Exchange and truncating the log files then DPM will complain about this as it won't be able to accurately replay all of the logs when you go to restore.

You should be able to validate this by manually running an express full backup after the error and then the next synchronization should work.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:14 AM