mcbuilder.exe (Microsoft Resource Cache Builder) runs for hours on end RRS feed

• Question

• mcbuilder.exe (Microsoft Resource Cache Builder) runs for hours on end (have observed over 15 hours) using about 50% of CPU time on a dual CPU machine. Sometimes multiple versions are started (I have seen at least 3 versions) hogging all available CPU time.

The few forum posts about changing MUI data files (for cmd to change name) imply that mcbuilder should not take long to run.

Observed over several minutes that there was no I/O activity reported in windows task manager. With multiple versions running for differing amounts of time, the task manager activity totals are the same. Task is run by SYSTEM with no parameters.

No clue as to what triggers mcbuilder to run. May be related  to automatic updates in AVG Antivirus Free or COMODO.

Searches through Microsoft and search.com do not provide any additional useful information.

I have lately taken to aborting mcbuilder after it has run for 30 minutes or more. I am very tempted to rename it so that it won't run.

file properties for windows/system32/mcbuilder.exe
    File Description: Microsoft Resource Cache Builder
    File Version 6.0.6001.18000
    Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Product Version 6.0.6001.18000
    Size 269 KB

MD5: 79624E5E4C263C3D0B09C90B798E43A8
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• I've just noticed this running myself.  I do have Symantec recently installed though.  It doesn't seem sensitive to whether you're idle or not.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:41 PM