none
Strange: After changing external urls, email is sent from outlook but no trace in Exchange servers

Question

• Hi all,

I have strange problem. I have setup of 2 Exchange 2013 servers. First server is running CAS and mailbox role and second server is running mailbox role. Both servers are in DAG and copying DBs to each other.

When I follow below article to change external FQDN to match SSL certificate, users in DBs of second server starts to get strange problem:

http://www.mustbegeek.com/configure-external-and-internal-url-in-exchange-2013/

When they send email to even themselves, the email is sent from Outlook and can see emails in "Sent items" folder but they don't receive. If I check that message by Get-MessageTrackingLog and there is nothing.

However, if I Activate that DB where user is, to Server 1, everything works fine. I can see email in Get-MessageTrackingLog.

Also, if I revert the changes what I applied to change external FQDN, Activate the DB back to second server, everything works fine and I can see the email in Get-MessageTrackingLog.

PLEASE HELP!

Saturday, January 20, 2018 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi

One reason why they can see email in sent items folder, but don't receive the email and you can't see them in MessageTracking, is that they may stuck in the mail queue. Did you check the queue viewer?

Where is the hub transport role installed?

Regards
    Pano

Pano Boschung, PageUp AG

Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Hi all,

Sorry for late update. I was busy in another production problem.

Just to document here. Very strange. I suspected it must be Autodiscover. As soon as I changed Autodiscover back to original uri. Everything started to work. Thanks all of you for help!

Friday, February 9, 2018 1:06 PM
  • Just now, another strange thing happens. To document, Queue viewer has shadow redundancy messages. I ignored last time. For curiosity, I gave following command:

Retry-Queue -Filter {Status -eq "Retry"} -Server Mailbox01 -Resubmit $true

After that I turn Autodiscover to external url. now everything is okay. The another strange this is shadow redundancy messages are still in Queue viewer..

Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi

One reason why they can see email in sent items folder, but don't receive the email and you can't see them in MessageTracking, is that they may stuck in the mail queue. Did you check the queue viewer?

Where is the hub transport role installed?

Regards
    Pano

Pano Boschung, PageUp AG

Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:04 PM
  • In Exchange 2013, HT is a service so it is installed by default. Is the HT service started on the Server2? Also, sound like server2 cannot route to server1.

Anything in the event logs?

Sunday, January 21, 2018 10:23 PM

• Hi,

Agree with others.

Are there any error message when you send email to others?
    Is that the same issue with OWA?

In addition to check if Hub Transport service is started, you can also try to check server component, make sure the status of HUB transport and FrontEnd Transport is active.

If the state is Inactive, please run below command to active relevant component:
    Set-ServerComponentState <Identity> -Component “component name” -Requester HealthAPI -State Active
    More details about Server Component States in Exchange 2013, please refer to:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/09/26/server-component-states-in-exchange-2013.aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, January 22, 2018 9:35 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Thanks Pano. The said messages were not in Queue viewer. Is it something related to Autodiscover FQDN? Thanks..

Monday, January 22, 2018 12:41 PM
  • Thanks Michael. Yes, HT server is started in a service. Yes, when I change FQDN, server 2 cannot route to server 1. I'll try again after 2 days when I have scheduled downtime. If I send message from user in Server1 to Server2. It may give further isolation of problem. Thanks..

Monday, January 22, 2018 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Alice. State is active. Thanks for the url. I may go through again one by one if there is problem somewhere else. I have scheduled downtime after 2 days. I'll change FQDN again and see all the components after changing FQDNs. Thanks..

Monday, January 22, 2018 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Can you receive email successfully?

How many users had this issue, all users or specific user?

Please try to add your server 1 and server 2 to the DNS hosts file.

You can also run the command “Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus”, check the value of the status.

Moreover, you can check SMTP protocol log, please refer to
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124994(v=exchg.65).aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Hi all,

Sorry for late update. I was busy in another production problem.

Just to document here. Very strange. I suspected it must be Autodiscover. As soon as I changed Autodiscover back to original uri. Everything started to work. Thanks all of you for help!

Friday, February 9, 2018 1:06 PM
  • Just now, another strange thing happens. To document, Queue viewer has shadow redundancy messages. I ignored last time. For curiosity, I gave following command:

Retry-Queue -Filter {Status -eq "Retry"} -Server Mailbox01 -Resubmit $true

After that I turn Autodiscover to external url. now everything is okay. The another strange this is shadow redundancy messages are still in Queue viewer..

Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:43 PM