Windows failed to start, can't boot from Vista DVD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello TechNet gang,

I've got a machine for which I swapped the motherboard. Both the old and new mobos have the same RAID controller, so my RAID-1 booting disks show up fine on the new mobo (an ABit IP35Pro). But at boot time, I get:

-------------------------------------------------

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or softwar change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart yoru coputer.

2. Choose language settings, and then click Net.

3. Click Repair your computer.

If you do nt have this disc, contact your sys admin or computer mfgr for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

-------------------------------------------------

But I can't get the Vista setup DVD to start properly. (I'm booting the 64-bit Vista DVD because it is 64-bit Vista that is installed on my boot RAID array.)

It boots, does the "Windows is loading files..." thing, followed by the driver-loading "Microsoft Corporation" progress bar. This completes, and I get a black screen with a while mouse cursor, which moves when I move the mouse. But then nothing - it just hangs there. No further DVD drive access, no HD access.

Any ideas? I can't fix my BCD unless I can get Vista to boot from DVD.

Thanks,

Bryan

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Bryan,

"0xC000000e" code indicates a "STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE" error.

For this post, error raised because the motherboard has changed. It may has conflict with your DVD device or other hardware.So we recommend you to contact the  motherboard manufactory for further technical support.

Also please make sure that the Microsoft Vista setup media can run normally with other DVD device.

After fixing the hardware conflict, we’d like to suggest you re-installing Windows Vista.

Article list below just for your reference:

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

Windows Help and How-to

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/f768809f-ed90-415f-a83f-89b42108b3551033.mspx#ERD

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Xiu Zhang - MSFT

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:58 AM

All replies

• Here's an additional data point:

If I disconnect the SATA cables from the two drives, then I make it to the Vista Install GUI. But of course at that point my disks aren't connected, so I can't repair the BCD.

Why would the presence of the RAID SATA disks stall the Vista Install GUI?

* ABit IP35Pro with 14 BIOS
    * Intel Q6600 running at default 2.4 GHz
    * 1 stick (for simplicity) of Patriot PSD21G8002 DDR2800 DRAM
    * eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked PCIe video card
    * Two WD 500GB drives configured as RAID1 on the Intel controller

Thanks,

Bryan

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

"0xC000000e" code indicates a "STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE" error.

For this post, error raised because the motherboard has changed. It may has conflict with your DVD device or other hardware.So we recommend you to contact the  motherboard manufactory for further technical support.

Also please make sure that the Microsoft Vista setup media can run normally with other DVD device.

After fixing the hardware conflict, we’d like to suggest you re-installing Windows Vista.

Article list below just for your reference:

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

Windows Help and How-to

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/f768809f-ed90-415f-a83f-89b42108b3551033.mspx#ERD

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Xiu Zhang - MSFT

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:58 AM