Internal Database (WID) lurking around despite dedicated SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• When I installed WSUS, the Windows Internal Database (WID) got selected automatically with apparently no way of deselecting it.

As I was going to put the WSUS database on a Microsoft SQL Server 2016, I deselected "WID Connectivity" in Server Manager and selected "SQL Server Connectivity" during the feature installation.

But the Windows Internal Database was installed anyway. It is there. As a service and as a process in task manager.

In SQL Server Management Studio it is evident that the SUSDB is in the SQL Server 2016 and the WID has no database.

Screenshot: SQL 2016 left, WID right

The server does nothing else but WSUS.

Could someone riddle me this?

1. Why is WID installed with WSUS even though the WID connector is deselected and the SUSDB actually will reside on a different SQL server?
    2. If in such a scenario, WID is running but with no databases, why is it unfolding some activity (as per screenshot 4% CPU load in task manager), when it should in my opinion not do anything at all?
    3. Can I safely remote WID through Server Manager without harming my WSUS installation, having 100% made sure that SUSDB is not hosted on WID?

The specs are WSUS 10.0.14393.1066 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016 on the same server.

• Edited by PKersey Friday, April 28, 2017 3:23 AM fixed pictures
    Monday, April 24, 2017 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi PKersey

1. The screenshot provided by you is unable to view, so, if we didn't get the exactly point of your issue, please correct us;

2. WID is a build-in database of the Windows Operating System, it's already there in the OS, even we didn't install it via Server Manager, and it's also not recommended to uninstall WID manually, since it may affect other applications;

3. Not only WSUS service use WID, other services may also use WID. For WSUS service, we just need to ensure the SUSDB exits on the related Database you required.

Related article for your reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708610(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Anne, I hope the screenshots will now show in the first post. There should be three of them.

But even without screenshots, I think it is important to note that if you install Server 2016 there will be no WID 'out of the box'. I checked this on a different Server 2016 installation which doesn't run WSUS.

There is also no WID service in the Windows services list. It is not just deactivated, it is not there.

This is why I believe that the forced WID feature installation that comes with the WSUS role installation is in error given that the user can state that at the WSUS feature installation that they will not be using WID,

I will make a backup of the WSUS server, uninstall WID and see what happens to WSUS,

Perhaps you can confirm this by looking at Server 2016 installation that has not yet WSUS installed? You should not see a WID installation.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:49 AM
  • Hi PKersey,

>There is also no WID service in the Windows services list. It is not just deactivated, it is not there.

On the Server 2016 without WSUS role installed, the WID services still exits:

And this is the Server 2016 installed WSUS:

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:15 AM
  • HI Anne,

thanks for checking. I don't see it on my end. Let me try and completely newly set up a Server 2016 and get back to you.

Monday, May 8, 2017 4:51 PM
  • Hi PKersey,

Yeah, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:55 AM