none
Site Collection Storage limits in SharePoint Online

Question

• Hello,

Please explain in detail about the storage limit for SharePoint online site collection.

As per the article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/SharePoint-Online-software-boundaries-and-limits-8f34ff47-b749-408b-abc0-b605e1f6d498?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#__toc351043094

Storage per user: 0.5 GB per subscribed user.

I want to understand in simple terms and not confusing statements like the one above how much can be my Site Collection storage space. What is definition of subscribed user? How will the storage limit get affected if I add/remove a new user to my organisation/tenant.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Vaibhav Antriwale

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:49 AM

Answers

• The 0.5 GB per user is the amount used to determine the size of the available storage pool for your entire tenant.  The calculation is 1TB + (0.5 X # of licensed users) = total storage.  A subscribed user is a user with a SharePoint Online license (except for K (kiosk) licensed users).  You can also purchase additional storage on top of the general storage provided based on your license count.  If you stop paying for licenses in your subscription then total storage will be adjusted downward.  If you are actually using more storage then you would either need to pay for the additional storage or decrease the amount that your sites are using.

In the article you quoted look at the next line down for how the .5 GB per user is applied.  Also note that an individual site collection can use up to 25 TB of storage, assuming your tenant has that much or you are willing to purchase additional storage on top of your quota.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, December 30, 2016 2:10 PM