Clustered Storage Spaces Management RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to manage 2 node windows clustered storage spaces. I have two storage Pool and have General Purpose(NFS), ISCSI target Server(ISCSI) and Scale out file server (SMB) roles installed in MS cluster.  Storage will be provisioned to many servers for internal customers as NFS, SMB and ISCSI

1- What is the best to manage virtual disk, volume ? What I create one virtual disk and and one volume for each server ? or create two virtual disk from each storage pool one for mirror and one for parity and expand as needed ?

2- Why I assign drive letter to volume i create. Is there better way to manage this ?

Any best practice document or  KB or help will be really appreciated

Thank you,

Adnan

ad

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• What is the best way to manage 2 node windows clustered storage spaces. I have two storage Pool and have General Purpose(NFS), ISCSI target Server(ISCSI) and Scale out file server (SMB) roles installed in MS cluster.  Storage will be provisioned to many servers for internal customers as NFS, SMB and ISCSI

1- What is the best to manage virtual disk, volume ? What I create one virtual disk and and one volume for each server ? or create two virtual disk from each storage pool one for mirror and one for parity and expand as needed ?

2- Why I assign drive letter to volume i create. Is there better way to manage this ?

Thank you,

Adnan

That's a bad idea to mix Scale-Out File Server role with anything else... Make your SoFS nodes feed shared storage to Hyper-V layer and spawn all other services (failover iSCSI, clustered SMB3 and NFSv4) as a set of a separate VMs.

Hyper-V Shared Nothing Cluster. Only two Hyper-V hosts needed.

• Marked as answer by Mandy Ye Monday, March 23, 2015 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:19 AM

All replies

Thank you,

Adnan

That's a bad idea to mix Scale-Out File Server role with anything else... Make your SoFS nodes feed shared storage to Hyper-V layer and spawn all other services (failover iSCSI, clustered SMB3 and NFSv4) as a set of a separate VMs.

Hyper-V Shared Nothing Cluster. Only two Hyper-V hosts needed.

• Marked as answer by Mandy Ye Monday, March 23, 2015 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for replying. We don't have Plans to use Scale out File Server Role and we dont use Hyper -V yet its all ESXi as NFS and ISCSI storage.

That why I will mostly using general file server role for NFS and SMB and ISCSI Target Server Role for ISCSI

Problem or I having hard time understand is that after creating volume from virtual disk its asking for drive letter. What if I have 50 volume then I will run out of letters.

Can I use mount point?. Where should I keep folders for mount point?

ad

Monday, March 23, 2015 3:42 PM