Computer randomly freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Starting a while ago my computer has begun randomly turning freezing or sometimes just turning off completely and restarting. When it freezes I have to manually turn it off by hitting the button on the top of my PC.

My computer specifications are:

Computer Model: Dell Studio XPS 8000

Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

64 Bit Windows 7

Nvidia GeForce GTS 240

I have not recently made any hardware changes and it still has the same exact hardware that it shipped with just over 2 years ago.

I have thoroughly cleaned and checked the inside of the case to ensure that everything is connected correctly and nothing is out of place. I have been using a temperature monitor to see if overheating was an issue but after over a week of monitoring my temperatures of all my components none have risen to unsafe or potentially faulty levels.

I believe that the RAM or the PSU is at fault, so have started removing one stick of RAM at a time, I have 8GB of it in the form of four 2GB sticks. I did run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool however it said that their were no faults with my RAM.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. If there are any additional pieces of information that you require, ask away!

[I am currently a year 2 student at college studying IT so I'm computer literate to an extent ;) ]

• Edited by Aruin Monday, October 17, 2011 7:04 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• Even if you checked the Ram, I would go back and re-check it with something like MemTest 86+.  Take out all ram and try one at a time to make sure you test east stick and remove any bad ones if they show up.

If it's not ram, then like you said either PSU is not powerful enough to power your PC or another culprit might be overheating.  Go into the bios and usually it would have place to see temperatures on the system. See if any are out of the ordinary (60C and above)

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    • Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, November 4, 2011 3:16 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:19 PM