none
Metadata navigation settings in SharePoint List using Layer2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm inserting data from a external XML into a SP native list through Layer2 Tool.I'm adding Metadata navigation settings associated to the list.

For now, I'm using in the list Choice Type columns to do it because through Layer2 I can't insert data in Metadata Type Columns . The reason because I don't like this way of work is when a new Type of choice is inserted from Layer2 into the list (in the choice column-field) , this value is not automatically synchronized in the Navigation Metadata Quick Menu of the list, so It has to be done manually.

What can I do now? Somebody know a better way to do this approach?
    • Edited by Rebegg Monday, March 10, 2014 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:22 PM

All replies

• Good effort and navigation can be tricky, there are several ways to do this, but I'll list only a couple that work well for me.

IF you're wanting to go completely OOTB, you can easily modify the master page to display a second layer of dropdowns.

• Open your master page in SPD (I know you knew this was coming)
    • Look for the SharePoint:ASPMenu ID='Top Navigation Menu'
    • Change MaximumDynamicDisplayLevel to 2

That's the easy but not so customizable way

My Fav that I'm using now is I've created a custom webservice for navigation using the Combined SiteMap Provider.

This returns all the elements for the entire navigation structure for the Top Node and one child Node.

I then call the webservice via jquery and draw my navigation dynamically.

This way is the coolest I've done because it's completely customizable and we are able to use HTML5 custom hovers and links this way.

If you want instructions on how to do the webservice version, check it out on my blog.

Creating Custom Navigation with WebService and jQuery

Happy SharePointing!

Brandon James SharePoint Developer/Administrator

• Edited by bnkjames Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:50 PM