No Updates in WSUS or SCCM1902 RRS feed

• Question

• I am only downloading windows 10 updates.  SCCM/WSUS on the same server but sql DB on a separate server

Last updates which I see in WSUS and SCCM were downloaded on August 20/2019 and nothing after that.  I even triggered a manual sync from SCCM and also from WSUS but nothing new comes down.

Nothing in the WCM.log or WSyncmgr.log that would indicate any issues.  All good there.

I then ran get-windowsupdatelog on the powershell command of my WSUS/SCCM 2016 server and these are the errors I see in there:

2019/09/03 09:24:54.2099645 1152  5416  Agent           WU client calls back to install call {76E1E6C9-80E8-444E-A7AA-E11F856DE324} with code Call complete and error 0

2019/09/03 09:24:54.2133006 7328  5588  ComApi          ISusInternal:: DisconnectCall failed, hr=8024000C

2019/09/03 11:38:10.3311199 700   3428  AppAU           * START * Check for Failed Tasks to Retry

2019/09/03 11:38:10.3311199 700   3428  AppAU           * START * Check for Failed Tasks to Retry

ComApi          ISusInternal:: DisconnectCall failed, hr=8024000C

Thank you for any insight.

• Edited by WildPacket Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

So there is nothing need to be worried about. It's as expected because MS has not published new updates to WSUS yet.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by WildPacket Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I don't recommend administering your Software Update Point from the WSUS console, you don't need to use this if you have SCCM console.

When you run a manual software updates synchronization from SCCM, what do you have in the wsyncmgr.log & WCM.log files? Check also the Event viewer.

If your Windows firewall is enabled, make sure that the following SQL ports are allowed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/configure-the-windows-firewall-to-allow-sql-server-access?view=sql-server-2017

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:39 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

First, we should know that the windowsupdate.log records WUA behavior on the client-side, which include the WUA scanning behavior against SUP/WSUS. But it has nothing to do with the synchronization between SUP/WSUS and Microsoft Update.

So, what's the SUP synchronization under "\Monitoring\Overview\Software Update Point Synchronization Status"? Is it green? And what Products and Classification did you select, only "Windows 10"?

I have checked arrived updates in my lab. The latest updates under "Windows 10" are KB4511518, KB4511819, KB4511820, KB4511521. Is it the same as yours? If not, what's your latest updates?

Besides, we could refer to Windows 10 update history to check if we have missed any important update.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond.

@Saad: Nothing in the logs that would indicate an issue.  Yes, I understand not to touch WSUS.  

@Ray:  Here is a screen grab of what I see and yes, I only have Windows 10 Selected in For Updates and nothing else.

• Edited by WildPacket Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:59 PM
  • Can you check WSUSCtrl.log log file?

What kind of DB are you using with WSUS? WID or SQL Server Database?

Once the software updates synchronization is done, do you have "Successfully completed WSUS Cleanup" message in the end?

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Hello,

So there is nothing need to be worried about. It's as expected because MS has not published new updates to WSUS yet.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

• Marked as answer by WildPacket Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Have you checked the logs for WSUS like SoftwareDistribution.log to see if any downloads are coming to WSUS as of late. Wonder if you could be getting download failure issues on this side and that's having a domino affect. Do you see any updates coming into your WSUSContent folder?

Can you confirm what error message you get when you trigger a synchronization from SCCM/WSUS, but either way this should show in your SoftwareDistribution log.

Check the services for WSUS are also running

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:59 PM
  • I agree with Ray, MS publish the monthly updates on the second Tuesday in each month.

Here is the result of MS catalog:

• Edited by SAAD Youssef Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SAAD Youssef Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Thank you ALL for your assistance.

I setup/completed a test WSUS quickly which I started building yesterday and noticed what Ray mentioned.

So I guess I can relax now.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:03 PM