Connect VPN before Logon RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this on Microsoft's Community forum but was advised by a Microsoft Support Engineer that I should be posting here on TechNet.

I've looked at the suggested posts but  I do not feel they cover my situation, but I may stand corrected.  I have just downloaded Windows 10 and setup for auto logon.  Now I would like to connect to my VPN network before the auto logon.  The reason for this is that I have a daily backup to an offsite location which happens through the VPN network.  As we travel a fair amount and can be away for more then a month at a time I am now concern that with Windows 10's forced updates that a restart may occur while we are away and prevent further backups.  I am also working on scheduling an excel template to run daily which will create new files daily while we are away, therefore the backup are important.  Any suggests will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Monday, August 10, 2015 12:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here's similar thread about your question, for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fd4fbff2-80d0-42b0-8044-02314bf014fa/connecting-to-vpn-before-logon-option-missing?forum=w8itpronetworking

Summary:
    Step 1: Force "Ctrl+Alt+Del".
    1. Open Local Security Policy, switch to Security Settings---> Local Policies---> Security Options---> Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    2. Set this policy to disabled which will force the use of “Ctrl+Alt+Del”.

Step 2: Create VPN connection
    Note: check “Allow other people to use this connection” option.

Then sign out for testing, you will see the option to "Network Sign-in". Figure as below:

Hope it will help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Allen

Thank you for your response.  My objective is to have my computer logon and connect to the VPN when it is restarted even if I am not here, i.e. Forced restart by Microsoft after updates.  I did follow your suggested reference and after a couple of links came to;

http://blog.lan-tech.ca/2013/06/08/rasdial-automate-vpn-connections

The bat file in this blog does allow me to connect to the VPN but only after my auto logon.  This is all done without my being present.  But because the logon happens first the drive at the other end of the VPN is not registered and therefore not available to my backup program (Second Copy).  If I am here I can go into "File Explorer" and click on the drive and it become available to Second Copy.  Therefore I have to either switch the order of events so the VPN is connected before logon or find a command that I can add to the bat file which will activate by VPN drive.

Peter

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

For your question, I find an similar situation. Please refer to:
    https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11758226/anyconnect-automatic-start-logon-windows-7

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice.
    Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 17, 2015 2:55 AM