Windows 7 Error Code: 0X80070006 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install Windows 7 RC I get the Error Code:0X80070006, this happens at the point Windows starts to expand files and at 0%. There's Windows XP Pro SP3 installed in the C: drive. I have installed Windows 7 beta earlier, removed it to install the RC. Dual boot configuration with Win 7 in D:. I'm getting this error only with the RC. I'm using wireless connection to connect to the net. Tried connecting it through Ethernet cable as well, and then tried it with no network cable plus switched of my wireless router also. nothing seems to work.

Processor Core 2 Duo E8400
    motherboard Intel DG43NB
    VGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    2GB DDR2 800Mhz Kingston HyperX Memory
    USR Wireless PCI card.

Please help. Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:55 AM

Answers

• I solved the problem!!!
    It wasn't so hard after all. Try to install win7 x64 from your current windows. I mean, do not change the way windows is booting, just run your win7 setup while you are logged in winxp.
    It workded for me, the installation downloaded the updates and all went fine.
    Good luck!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I have had the same problem and it seems to be related to som trash in the MBR. What solved the problem was to delete all partitions created by the windows 7 installer, use the Vista installation disc to repair the startup options (and thereby rewrite the MBR) and halleluja - no problems with the "0x80070006 network acces problem".
    • Proposed as answer by MustiCat Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shanil86 Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:13 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:40 AM

All replies

• Just out of interest, have you tried installing without the wireless card?  Someone else was getting the same error, but with the beta version and the message was "make sure the computer is connected to the network".

-Ken
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:36 PM

• I tried to download Windows 7 RC twice and both the times, I got the same error message. My computer was connected to the network both the times but it gives error message when Windows starts to expand files. I'm not sure what is the solution for that ??

Shanil86, Did you run Windows Update ? If not then update your system and try to download Windows 7 RC again...

-Mits
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I tried switching off the wireless router but didn't try installing without the card. Tried with the Ethernet cable fixed as well. I'll try the installation without the Wireless card. will let you know. Thanks alot.

Shanil
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:33 PM
  • What do u mean by run Windows update?, I didn't get an option to run an update before the installation, or are u referring to the Windows XP update?. Thanks.

Shanil.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Yeah, Windows XP Update... Windows 7 RC won't tell you to update, it's just you have to do it manually... If your computer is not updated then you might get problem in downloading Win 7 RC...
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Mits81

I think you have misunderstood me, I get this error when I try to Install Windows 7 not downloading. Thanks.

Shanil
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Tried the installation after removing the Card but still same error, this happens when Windows expands the files. Tried with the Ethernet and without it as well, but no. Same error.

"Windows cannot install required files. Network problems may be preventing Windows from accessing the files.Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation
    Error Code: 0x80070006"

Thanks
    Shanil
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I also have this problem. I'm about to give up on the RC.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi Shanil & jmcburger... Try onething... Extract the ISO file to any folder on your computer.. Once it completed then double click on Setup file... Just wait and watch.. You won't get that error message anymore... I was having same problem, so instead of installing from DVD, I just extracted the file using Winrar (there are lot of other softwares to extract files) Make sure you TURN ON the Internet Connection otherwise it won't work... I turned on both wireless & ethernet.. Trust me it'll work...
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Mits81..

Run the setup while in Windows XP is it?.  My XP is 32Bit, but the Win 7 I'm trying to install is 64Bit. Will installing from a Flash Drive help?. I saw a way u can Boot using a USB drive.

Thanks again Mits.

Shanil
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hi Shanil... I'm not sure about USB Drive.. Yes, you can run the setup while in Windows XP. When you download Windows 7 from microsoft.com, they give you 2 options either 32bit or 64bit (the menu is at the bottom of the page). So make sure you download 32bit one...
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Mits,

I tried installing Win 7 64bit using a flash drive but same problem. Why i tried installing the 64bit version is coz I have an extra 2 gigs of ram and would like to use it, plus because I have used the 64 bit Win 7 beta while having Win XP 32bit. I will try installing the 32 Bit version tomorrow. will let you no how it goes. Thanks.

Shanil.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Shanil,

I would suggest simply extract the ISO file to any folder on your computer and then run setup... Try with 64bit if it doesn't work then go with 32bit...
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Mits,

Burned Win 7 32bit on a DVD and installed, installed without any issues :-). but what I cant figure out is, If i was able to dual boot Win 7 64bit Beta with Win XP 32bit, why can't I do the same with the Win 7 64bit version?.

Will try to find out the reason somehow.

Thanks for all the help.

Shanil.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Beta was just a starting point of W7 whereas RC is finished product.. I uninstall Beta in just 2 hours as I was getting millions of problems but RC is running pretty good except few minor problems.. You'll see lot of updates on RC within next few months... Anyways let me know if you get stuck with this..

Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Did you fix your problem with Error Code:0X80070006??? 
    I'm asking because i have the same problem only i have cable internet not wireless but the rest is just like you just described.
    Maybe somebody has the solution?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hi

I tried every possible way I knew and plus I checked with my friends as well, but couldn't do it. wasn't able to run the setup from Win XP because I'm running XP 32bit version. Ultimately I gave up on the 64bit Win 7 RC and installed the 32 Version, works like a charm, only downside for me is I'm unable to use all 4 Gigs RAM I have. One thing I haven't Tried is install Win 7 64bit RC without a dual boot configuration, I don't have an extra HDD to try that out. That might work, not sure. If you can try that. Let me know if you do and succeed.

Thanks
    Shanil.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I have 2 hard drives and two partitions on them, i tried to install win7 on each of them except the primary partition, but it didn't work. And the point is i have windows vista x64 installed on my computer not win xp, but the error code and the problem is the same.
    It means that problem and solution is somewhere else because i tried to install on second hard drive and on other partition, nothing worked out.
    I also tried to install older win7 version, it also didn't work.
    I still have some ideas like recovering all partitions and making new ones.
    If that won't work, maybe i will try to install upgrade version.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:40 PM
    It wasn't so hard after all. Try to install win7 x64 from your current windows. I mean, do not change the way windows is booting, just run your win7 setup while you are logged in winxp.
    Good luck!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:08 PM
    Good luck!
    im trying to do that, but the setup file is not compatible
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:16 AM
  • im trying to install windows 7 professional x64 to dual-boot with xp32 but when i extract the .iso the setup file wont open. it says its not compatible with my OS. when i tried to clean install on a new partition it gives me the 0x80070006 error

any suggestions???
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Install windows vista at first and then windows 7.
    I installed from vista because i'm not using winxp.
    It will take a bit longer, but it's worth to do it :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I have had the same problem and it seems to be related to som trash in the MBR. What solved the problem was to delete all partitions created by the windows 7 installer, use the Vista installation disc to repair the startup options (and thereby rewrite the MBR) and halleluja - no problems with the "0x80070006 network acces problem".
    • Proposed as answer by MustiCat Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shanil86 Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:13 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:40 AM