Remove Last Public Folder Database / Impact on Outlook 2007 -> 2013 Clients ?? / Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together, 

we have an Exchange 2010 SP3 UR5 Infrastructure. Now the end is in sight for Public Folders :)

We want to Remove our Last Public Folder Database on our Organization. 

How can i get this managed and what is the Outlook 2007+++ Client Impact on this Action ?

The Plan is:

• Remove all Public Folder Content
    • Set the OAB to Web Distribution Only
    • Clear the “msExchHomePublicMDB” attribute on Exchange Databases
    • Clear  the “siteFolderServer” attribute on CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) 
    • Remove the Public Folder Database with ADSI

Is there anything else to do ?

Is there any Outlook Client Impact on this ? Does the Users get a Outlook Error like "your exchange administrator did some changes please restart" or is it transparent for the users ?

thanks for Feedback, 

Best, 

Martin

Friday, May 9, 2014 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

My environment is outlook 2010, exchange 2010. In my environment, there is not a warning like"..you have to restart your outlook" after I delete public folder database.

Based on my known, if you restart outlook, the public folder on last public folder database you have deleted will disappear in outlook. You will not see any public folder in outlook. So I consider it will apply the changes.

If I have any misunderstaning, please free let me know.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by -M-T- Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The Best way for this, is to Dismount the Public Folder for some days and check if everything works fine with the clients outlook in that period than Remove it. There wont be any impact as all the clients are Outlook 2007 and above.

Here is a great link that explains all about Remove Public Folder Databases.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/dd876883%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

Mark as Answer/Helpful Post if it helps

Regards.

Naren Neelam, Messaging Consultant, ITBigBang (P) Ltd Www.ITBigBang.Com | Hire Us for Messaging Consulting

Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hello,

Please follow the Naren.Neelam's suggestion.

Besides, I recommend you remove database via EMC or EMS. If you can't remove the database via EMC or EMS, and then you can use ADSIEDIT to remove the public folder database from the organization.

When you remove a public folder database, the Exchange database (.edb) file for the database and other files associated with the database aren't automatically deleted. You must delete the public folder database files manually.

Here are some articles for your reference.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2010-remove-public-folder-database/ (Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.)

Cara Chen

Monday, May 12, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Hello Cara and Naren, 

thanks for your reply's. i will care about that. 

however my primary question is if any outlook users will see a warning like "...you have to restart your outlook..."

i know that outlook 2007++ will work without public folders. but im note sure if it will take a restart of outlook to apply the Changes "delete last public folder database" 

Do anybody know this ?

thanks, 

best, 

Martin

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Hello,

My environment is outlook 2010, exchange 2010. In my environment, there is not a warning like"..you have to restart your outlook" after I delete public folder database.

Based on my known, if you restart outlook, the public folder on last public folder database you have deleted will disappear in outlook. You will not see any public folder in outlook. So I consider it will apply the changes.

If I have any misunderstaning, please free let me know.

Cara Chen

• Marked as answer by -M-T- Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Hi Cara, 

thanks for Feedback. That was what i wanted to hear :)

Best, 

Martin

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:21 AM