none
Recover BitLocker volume information from a damaged hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise with Bitlocker.

Unfortunately I ran into problems booting up and eventually it looked like the harddrive (SSD) was malfunctioning. My backup solution was fresh so I haven't given it much thought, just replaced the drive, but I would still like to know if it's possible to recover data from the drive while it's encrypted with Bitlocker?

I have searched the net for info but none of them seem to focus on my problem; the drive itself shows no volume information, so I'm unable to run any decryption protocols on it. Therefore I'm unable to run any recovery software on it either.

I'm afraid I might've made the situation worse with my attempts at recovery, but still, any help is appreciated!

Best Regards,

Heini

Saturday, September 19, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Heini,

During my research, we could recover your BitLocker drive with BitLocker Repair Tool. Please refer to below link about how to using the BitLocker Repair Tool to Recover a Drive: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523219(v=ws.10).aspx

Moreover, here's an article about How Do You Want to Recover BitLocker-Protected Drives, for your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706519(WS.10).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for your answer.

"the drive itself shows no volume information, so I'm unable to run any decryption protocols on it"

Because of no partition/volume information, I was unable to use the repair tool. That was among the first suggestions I ran into when looking for information of course. I even tried to recreate the partition table and structure but could not get it working.

I did try to do quite extensive research regarding this subject and couldn't find a suitable way to handle it, so I suppose this thread can be considered closed :)

Sunday, September 27, 2015 7:15 AM