none
Windows 7 Enterprise VM is black not able to log in RRS feed

• Question

• Dear sir/madam,

Since 1 August we have a strange with one Windows 7 Enterprise Base which in running on multiple VM's.
    The strange part is that nothing has changed on this Base since 24 July (like drivers, windows updates etc.)

We have observed that when users are trying to launch Windows-7 published desktop by RDP, they are presented with a black screen. The VM's are hosted on XenServer and during the time of the issue, the console GUI displays a black screen with the message - "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)" 

This problem occures when the VM is running for about 50 minutes or more. When you log in you see a black screen and logging in takes about 45 minutes. When i check event viewer and progmon i see a gap of 45 minutes of logging, so the log also stop.

The strange thing is, when i search for this VM, its not responding in XenCenter console, but:
    - i can access the C$ share
    - i can access the remote Event Viewer
    - i can ping the VM
    - i cannot use remote Windows Services, PSexec etc..

Greetings,
    Mark

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

We already found the issue and the solution :-).

The non-persistent VM refresh after reboot back to the base.

When the VM starts, the Anti-Virus (BitDefender) was updating himself to a version which had a memory leak issue...

I updated the base with all Windows Updates and the latest BitDefender version, and this solved the issue :-).

Greetings,

Mark

• Marked as answer by Mark Veldman Monday, August 12, 2019 11:33 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 11:32 AM

All replies

• HI
    1 how many win7 computers have the same problem ?
    2 what applications are installed on this problematical win7 ?
    3 is there task scheduler running on this problematical computer ?
    4 enter below command in command prompt on win7 (open as admin)
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    5 Please check the symptom in a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) environment if it is possible. Ensure the latest update has been installed to avoid known issue
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

We already found the issue and the solution :-).

The non-persistent VM refresh after reboot back to the base.

When the VM starts, the Anti-Virus (BitDefender) was updating himself to a version which had a memory leak issue...

I updated the base with all Windows Updates and the latest BitDefender version, and this solved the issue :-).

Greetings,

Mark

• Marked as answer by Mark Veldman Monday, August 12, 2019 11:33 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 11:32 AM
  • HI
    You are welcome ,I am glad to hear that your issue is solved.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:30 AM