none
Project Is Adding Work Hours to the Project Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using MS Project Servere 2010. I received the attached questions from a project manager:

Day 1:

"Here’s my Project schedule weird math story: left the project it was showing 4,232 hours. When I opened it today to check it I find it has 23,540 hours. I found that Jeff B’s total hrs were way out of range (like 15,000 over). I found 1 task that showed 790 HRS….I dropped that 1 item to 40 hours and the whole plan total dropped to under 4,000 hrs. I made adjustments to bring the plan back to 4,232. It is a total and complete mystery how changing 1 task from 790 hours to 40 dropped the project information statistics by over 15,000 hours…I have saved, published check in and re checked. The plan is now balanced."

Day 2 (From same Project Manager, regarding same project scheudule):

"The MS project math saga continues...Last I left the project I had the project balanced at 4232 hrs. I went into the project today and now it shows 5,704 hours …. I have not touched the project since my last set of save publish and recheck. I need help figuring out what is going on? Thanks."

Does anyone have any idea why Project would arbitrarily add hours to a project schedule? Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Judy

Judy Washington

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Judy,

Has the project manager approved any status updates? I remember seeing something similar and it was normal as the users were submitting updates and, depending on the task type, additional work was added to the project. So I would suggest looking into resource task updates and the used task types

Hope this helps

Paul

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:39 PM
  • In addition to Paul's excellent advice, can you tell us which SP/CU do you have?

It might also be a case of file's corruption. You could try the save for sharing method to repair it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:39 PM