VPN Connects but then disconnects, Windows Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a VPN for several years that works fine under XP.  On my laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (64 bit) I am able to connect briefly, after about 30 seconds I get disconnected and the redial screen appears.  I've tried disabling startup and services from MSCONFIG but the problem persists.  Nothing exceptional shows up in the system log.  There are several RAS Client entries in the Application Log, these are the last two:

CONNECTION: (EVENT ID 20225)

CoId={D60394DC-ED2B-497D-8776-F6327CC14F19}: The user mike-M1330\mike has dialed a connection named VPN Connection to the Remote Access Server which has successfully connected. The connection parameters are:

TunnelIpAddress = 10.92.253.14

TunnelIpv6Address = None

Dial-in User = CENTRAL\mhasen.

----------------------------
    DISCONNECTION: (Event ID 20226)

CoId={D60394DC-ED2B-497D-8776-F6327CC14F19}: The user mike-M1330\mike dialed a connection named VPN Connection which has terminated. The reason code returned on termination is 829.

----------------------------

The reason code 829 tranlates as ERROR_LINK_FAILURE and suggests that the connection failed, however, I get the same behavior when connected both wired and wireless, and my internet connectivitiy is stable during the VPN process.

Any ideas on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:34 PM

Answers

• Nicholas,
    Thanks for the reply.  I did review item 2 but no luck but thanks for forwarding it.  I also tried setting Properties, Security, Advanced, Optional Encryption on the VPN as a test with no change in the behavior. 

Some of the other troubleshooting steps I've tried are:
    1.  attempt the VPN connection from several locations,
    2.  attempt the VPN connection through wired network, wireless network, and over the Verizon Broadband Rev A network connections. 
    3.  Our tech support person has a Windows Vista 64 bit system that they use from home and it reportedly makes a VPN connection without a problem.

Item 1 would seem to indicate against a specific router issue, Item 2 against a particular network connection on the laptop, and item 3 against a server issue with Vista on 64 bit machines. 

I went through the networking tab on properties again and found an entry for QoS Packet Scheduler.  When I unchecked this entry the VPN connection works fine.  Any idea why that would be an issue?   

Mike

• Marked as answer by Mhasen Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:38 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest trying the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Please remove and reinstall or upgrade the NIC drivers to see if it works.

2.    If the computer is connected to a router, please ensure that the router is compatible with Windows Vista and you can try to update the firmware of the router to see if it works. Please also connect to the network directly (bypass the router) to see how it works then.

3.    If it is possible, please take the computer to another network and check if the issue reoccurs. If there is another Windows Vista computer on the network, please also check if it encounters this issue.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following related document with you:

Troubleshooting Vista VPN problems (Please note the section “2. Connection issues due to encryption mismatch”.)

http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog/archive/2007/04/08/troubleshooting-vista-vpn-problems.aspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Nicholas,
    Thanks for the reply.  I did review item 2 but no luck but thanks for forwarding it.  I also tried setting Properties, Security, Advanced, Optional Encryption on the VPN as a test with no change in the behavior. 

Some of the other troubleshooting steps I've tried are:
    1.  attempt the VPN connection from several locations,
    2.  attempt the VPN connection through wired network, wireless network, and over the Verizon Broadband Rev A network connections. 
    3.  Our tech support person has a Windows Vista 64 bit system that they use from home and it reportedly makes a VPN connection without a problem.

Item 1 would seem to indicate against a specific router issue, Item 2 against a particular network connection on the laptop, and item 3 against a server issue with Vista on 64 bit machines. 

I went through the networking tab on properties again and found an entry for QoS Packet Scheduler.  When I unchecked this entry the VPN connection works fine.  Any idea why that would be an issue?   

Mike

• Marked as answer by Mhasen Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:38 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:38 PM