APPV5 infrastructure on Virtual Servers RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to set up an APPV5 infrastructure on Virtual Servers.

Is there a recommended spec for using Hyper V Virtual Servers as apposed to physical servers? as our current APPV 4.6 Management servers are 16 Cores and 32 GB RAM which I believe is overkill. we have about 1600 people connecting using Xendesktop 7.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:48 PM

All replies

• Your current infrastructure is certainly overkill.

Microsoft does have a white paper recommending architecture, which is also overkill, suggesting each role (Management, Publishing, Reporting) be separate with load balanced pairs.

Ignoring that you mentioned Citrix for a minute, I generally recommend combing Management and Publishing on the same VM.  Quite frankly having Reporting on the same VM is OK in my book for most customers (if you have a lot of users at 2AM maybe not).

For scale, a single VM would handle 1600 people, but of course you'll use two for redundancy because otherwise you'd have to explain why not.

In a XenDesktop/App situation, it is not uncommon to place the Management Server on the XenControllers and the Publishing Server on Storefront servers.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, November 4, 2017 1:19 AM