Windows Backup - Advanced Restore Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to restore some files from a backup made under Windows XP.  The Adv. Restore Wizard in Vista has an option for restoring from a local drive.  When this option is selected, you can check from a list of drive letters, but there is no option to enter a local path.  I tried moving my .bkf file to the root of the drive, but I still get the message "Windows Backup was not able to find any backup sets on <drive>".

I also tried to restore using the network path option, but the Restore Wizard was unable to read from a public share, even though that share could be opened and read using the Windows Explorer.

How can I restore files from a backup file made in Windows XP?

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:44 PM

All replies

• Please let me know if you get an answer

thanks

dggrow

Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:01 PM
  • I'm screwed, too! I can't read my XP backups on VISTA. I can't believe Microsoft didn't think of this. Are there any solutions?

Now I have to spend a few days copying out filesystems onto external hard drives and mounting them on Vista.

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:17 PM
  • Yup indeed a major flaw in the design.  I can't have this and after install RC1 this afternoon I'm not impressed.  Looks like I'll be heading back to XP.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:02 PM
  • Reported an GUI bug/error using Vista Beta Client Tool  for the Backup Status and Configuration application, on the first screen of restore files there is the text

"How do I restore files from a backup made on a previous version of windows" which is hyperlinked to http://support.microsoft.com/

Vista is not in the support database as a product category from the search menu and using the text string does not produce a kb article.

Anyone try installing the ntbackup.msi program from the XP Home CDRom as quick workaround  for restore ?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:18 AM
  • I am having this same problem - can't restore my XP .bkf with Vista.  Anyone have any bright ideas that have lead to success?

Steve

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:19 PM
  • I've heard that there will be a read-only tool in Vista for restore from BKF files. Any MS folks here to point us to that tool?

I see a few $150+ apps out there to repair a BKF. That won't work for an end user that a few months after upgrading to Vista realizes they need important docs from their XP backups.

Microsoft, are you reading these posts? Please respond...

Cheers!

Erol

Friday, October 6, 2006 7:36 PM
  • You can use the NTBACKUP.MSI included on the XP Hopme Cd or find on the net.  I had to do this when I installed Vista RC2 Ultimate and couldnt get my XP files transferred.

You will also have to obtain the XP version of NTMSAPI.DLL and VSSAPI.DLL from a dll dump site on the web.  Problem is you have to rename the existing VSSAPI.DLL in Vista (no easy task until you take ownership away from the TrustedInstaller group and assign full rights).  Copy both files into the System32 folder and do your restore.  Afterwards, rename the file back to use Vista's "backup" feature.

Im sure the final release will have it fixed.....

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 5:44 AM
  • Bless you my child!!!  Installed and I'll test it out. This may temporarily answer a GRAVE concern about Vista: MSFT decided basic users were more important that pro users... that is... Vista Backup has no way to backup just forders. A MSFT rep acknoledged this on the Vista forum.

This means we XP pro users who know to back up just their Documents folder now must back up the whole machine OR every doc type file on the whole PC. This means I get every garbage template file on my whole system just to back my docs. A 4Gb docs turned into 10GB of bloated garbage. I can't backup onto a DVD any more.

MSFT, are you listening? Please don't shaft your loyal XP Pro users that actually know how to do a backup.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:52 AM
  • Ah, looks like vssapi.dll (shadow copy) is used by defrag, so maybe can't use ntbackup on a daily basis.
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 2:43 AM
  • That one costs $89 - anyone know of any freeware?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:55 AM