Mediation Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are thinking about evaluating OCS 2007 R2. In our environment, we use Swyx for telephony.
    We are now at the resource planing, but we are not sure if we have to use a mediation server,
    because i have read that OCS can communicate with Swyx (IP PBX) over SIP.

So i don't need a mediation server? I am i little bit confused.

Thanks for your help
    Marc
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• The Swyx is not an officially tested and approved PBX for OCS but doing a search it appears people having it working to some degree.

You still require a mediation server as this is OCS Telephony server which among other things changes the codec to RTAudio and manages the signalling and routing.

Normally with unsupported IP PBX's it is best to use a gateway inbetween the systems as these allow a number of modification to the SIP traffic to improve compatibility.
    Chris Clark - | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    • Proposed as answer by _ChrisClark_ Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:00 AM
  • The Mediation Server is almost always required, it's the Media Gateway that typically is optional when dealing with IP-PBX systems.  There are a few rare scenarios where even the Mediation server is not deployed separately but those are with either (a) Hybrid Gateways that run the Mediation Server component embedded, or (b) a specific gateway that talks natively to the OCS Front-End services (NET has one of these now).

At minimum you'll need a Mediation Server, and as Chris suggested possibly even a Basic Media Gateway (like Dialogic or Tenor device).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by _ChrisClark_ Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:15 PM