Windows 10 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

My target is to upgrade my clients computers Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro through Windows Update Server.

As per needed upgrade by computers in WSUS i Approved below mention and its status showing downloading.

Questions : 

Is below highlighted Approved Upgrade can upgrade my Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 , actually i am confused because it shows that another update supersedes this update however i am unable to find its superseded update.

Also this is only Upgrade which is needed by client computers.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 9:36 AM

Answers

• 2016-07-23          10:50:57:982       332        1b30      AU          OSUpgrade detected: Importance = 0 from deployment, State = 3, AutoDownload = 0, DownloadPri = 3, DownloadStatus = 100, AcceleratedInstall = 2

2016-07-23          10:50:57:997       332        1b30      AU          OSUpgrade has an install deadline(3) from registry 2016-07-23 10:56:47

I could see OS upgrade is not allowed in the client machine. Please follow the below steps to upgrade the 8.1 to windows 10

1.        Ensure that Windows 10 installation files have been downloaded to %SystemDrive%\$Windows.~BT with file size of more than around 3GB.
    2.        Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
    3.        Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

1.        Right click on OSUpgrade and create a new DWORD (32 bit) Value named AllowOSUpgrade.
    2.        Double click or double tap on AllowOSUpgrade, and modify its value data from 0 to 1.
    3.        Restart the computer.
    4.        Run Windows Update, and click or tap on Get Started button to start the upgrade to Windows 10.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Osama-Mansoor,

1.> it shows that another update supersedes this update

As it shows "this update supersedes another update", not another update supersede this one.

2. Since this upgrade file hasn't been downloaded by clients, please check if you have added .esd MIME type in WSUS IIS site.

Here is a related post that regarding about issues when upgrade to win10 via WSUS, for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fdb1ed67-3199-40f8-9ddb-8d6fe469e101/upgrading-to-windows-10-using-wsus-doesnt-work?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:35 AM
  • <<<2. Since this upgrade file hasn't been downloaded by clients, please check if you have added .esd MIME type in WSUS IIS site.>>

Is above settings necessary , I can see that three days gone and mention screen shot is still downloading.

Monday, July 18, 2016 12:32 PM
  • Hi Osama-Mansoor,

Yes, please add .esd MIME type in WSUS site;

Besides, also check WSUS event log in event viewer, check if there are errors, such as event 364.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

The downloading failed again and again and issue resolved with following link

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/01/29/how-to-delete-upgrades-in-wsus/

Now Unable to install on my client computer, please see two below images

Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:37 AM
  • from Windows update server error is

is-xxxx.csaplho.pk
    Windows 7 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume
    Event reported at 7/23/2016 10:30 AM:
    Error: Download failed.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Its seams Client machine not able to download the patch from WSUS. To isolate the issue we need to check the windows update log. 

Can you please share the log in the below path which you are trying to update the windows 10 machine.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.txt

Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Unable to check the above link. We're sorry, but Soundarraj.Ramasamy@XXXXX.comcan't be found in the crescentpk-my.sharepoint.com directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.

Copy the log and past in the forum.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:44 AM
  • 2016-07-23          10:50:57:982       332        1b30      AU          OSUpgrade detected: Importance = 0 from deployment, State = 3, AutoDownload = 0, DownloadPri = 3, DownloadStatus = 100, AcceleratedInstall = 2

2016-07-23          10:50:57:997       332        1b30      AU          OSUpgrade has an install deadline(3) from registry 2016-07-23 10:56:47

I could see OS upgrade is not allowed in the client machine. Please follow the below steps to upgrade the 8.1 to windows 10

1.        Ensure that Windows 10 installation files have been downloaded to %SystemDrive%\$Windows.~BT with file size of more than around 3GB.
    2.        Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
    3.        Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

1.        Right click on OSUpgrade and create a new DWORD (32 bit) Value named AllowOSUpgrade.
    2.        Double click or double tap on AllowOSUpgrade, and modify its value data from 0 to 1.
    3.        Restart the computer.
    4.        Run Windows Update, and click or tap on Get Started button to start the upgrade to Windows 10.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Hi Osama-Mansoor,

Have you add the register key suggested by SOUNDARRAJ RAMASAMY, could it work?

Best Regards,

Anene

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:40 AM
  • yes it works but unfortunately Windows 10 forget activation.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 4:11 AM