none
Hide a filter on dashboard that has one member available for selection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a four filters on my dashboard - 1 of which is period which have multiple mebers for selection  - the other three only has 1 member available for selection so it is pointless to have them presented as on option on the page - is it possible that I can hide these filters ??

Roland

Monday, April 12, 2010 9:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan English

The requirement from the users is a tabbed interface to each of my three business units ( all dashboard users can see all business units). Using zone tabs web part I have three tabs which point to three different dashboards that reuse the same KPI's for the scorecards (I have 60 KPI's and do not want to duplicate them for each of the business units which then requires a filter). Each of these three dashboards allows only 1 selected business unit at one time which brings me back to the problem that the filter does not need to be shown as only 1 value is allowed by each dashboard. 

Have a look at http://cid-3d9115ceaf378b0e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Dashboard.gif

I have 2 filters - Business unit / Source and they have one value each based on what tab is selected.

I hope this explains the problem better

(I am exploring the use of CEWP using Jquery to hide the filters after the dashboard is rendered to the client)

Cheers

Roland

• Marked as answer by ROland Foster Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:15 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can hide filters on a dashboard.

You can remove the filters and apply the values of these filters to dashboard objects. For example, if one of your filters is Country UK and its not going to change, move it to background on you analytic chart or if its a KPI then select your measure and in dimensions select UK.

Hope I was able to explain properly.

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Hi

Using your method (if I understand correctly)   - Will I have to create four KPI's for each of my four business units where as I currently use 1 Kpi for 4 Scorecards and apply a filter  ??

Thx for your reply

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Yes, you guessed it right. Sounds a bit odd but thats the only solution I think of now.

Unless this is an absolute requirement, I would leave the filters on the dashboard although there's only one value to be selected since this way users are always aware of what they are looking at. I had a similar situation and I went ahead with this approch.

Cheers

Sean

Monday, April 12, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Can you explain what each of the filters is, what the value(s) are, and how they are being used? 

If the data in the filters is being limited based on the permissions in the cube then a filter is really not needed because you can place the set in the background and the users permissions would limit the data.  You could also place this on the columns or rows and breakout the data that way also.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hi Dan English

The requirement from the users is a tabbed interface to each of my three business units ( all dashboard users can see all business units). Using zone tabs web part I have three tabs which point to three different dashboards that reuse the same KPI's for the scorecards (I have 60 KPI's and do not want to duplicate them for each of the business units which then requires a filter). Each of these three dashboards allows only 1 selected business unit at one time which brings me back to the problem that the filter does not need to be shown as only 1 value is allowed by each dashboard. 

Have a look at http://cid-3d9115ceaf378b0e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Dashboard.gif

I have 2 filters - Business unit / Source and they have one value each based on what tab is selected.

I hope this explains the problem better

(I am exploring the use of CEWP using Jquery to hide the filters after the dashboard is rendered to the client)

Cheers

Roland

• Marked as answer by ROland Foster Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Hi

I solved this issue by editing the aspx page in sharepoint and changing the webpart for each of my filters to a size of 1 pixel that essentially hides the filter. ( I tried hidden property on the webpart this did not seem to work) The drawback of this that this has to be done every time I deploy a new dasboard page .

So if there is a better way or another approach please post the solution - any help will be appreciated

Just a note - I had to add ?PageView=Shared&ToolPaneView=2 to the end of my url to get the edit pane for webparts

Thx

Roland

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Hi

I solved this issue by editing the aspx page in sharepoint and changing the webpart for each of my filters to a size of 1 pixel that essentially hides the filter. ( I tried hidden property on the webpart this did not seem to work) The drawback of this that this has to be done every time I deploy a new dasboard page .

So if there is a better way or another approach please post the solution - any help will be appreciated

Just a note - I had to add ?PageView=Shared&ToolPaneView=2 to the end of my url to get the edit pane for webparts

Thx

Roland

Hi Roland,

I am also looking to achieve this but have exhausted all available in-built options. You mentioned "...editing the .aspx page in sharepoint...", how was this done?

DT

Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:03 PM
  • A trick you can use to do this.

1.  Modify the filter that has options for the user and add an option that you do not want to have in the filter selection list (something like unknown etc)

2.  On the dashboard page drag the display condition from the modified filter to the filters that you want to have hidden.

3.  Set the display value to the option on your modified filter that you do not want in that filter

4.  Modify your main filter again and remove the option that you don't want on the filter.

Deploy the page and the other filters will be hidden.

I believe this will do what you are looking for.

• Proposed as answer by Mark Loew Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:46 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:46 PM