SCCM 2012 R2: reistall OS/SCCM but not SQL database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to reinstall my Windows with SCCM 2012 R2 (currently it is SP1 but don't want to upgrade).
    I have my installation in MDT, can I just reinstall pointing to this SQL database in unattend.ini and make sure it is not overwritten?

J.

Jan Hoedt

• Moved by TorstenMMVP Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:39 PM moved to Site & Client Deployment
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:27 PM

Answers

• No. Part of the in-place upgrade process is to upgrade the DB (schema, stored procs, tables, etc.). DOing a fresh install of ConfigMgr will not do this. It *may* overwrite the DB, but it will not use the data in the DB because it is from an older version.

Which leads us to the why? Specifically, what is your goal and why are you thinking about doing it this way?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• No. Part of the in-place upgrade process is to upgrade the DB (schema, stored procs, tables, etc.). DOing a fresh install of ConfigMgr will not do this. It *may* overwrite the DB, but it will not use the data in the DB because it is from an older version.

Which leads us to the why? Specifically, what is your goal and why are you thinking about doing it this way?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:38 PM
  • This is not recommended and it wont work. You will have to create a new DB for this.

Prajwal Desai | Website: www.PrajwalDesai.com Support: www.PrajwalDesai.com/support Forums: www.PrajwalDesai.com/forum

Friday, November 8, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Ok, I'll do the upgrade to R2 manually. But once installed, I'd like to redeploy the SCCM-server (Windows 2008) via MDT in fully automated mode). I wonder if I do reinstall to the same database if the database is overwritten or stays in tact.

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:29 PM