none
Office 2007 wipes out Spell Check in Outlook Express 6.0

Question

• New Dell computer with XP Pro and current OS updates - just installed Office 2007 and now the only language available in the spell checker in Outlook Express 6.0 is FRENCH!  I did find a KB article that says that the Office 2007 spell checker is incompatible with the one in Outlook Express 6.0 and that the installation of the Office 2007 wipes out the one in Outlook Express.  They suggested installing an outside freeware spell checker for Outlook Express.    Anyone out there know anything about this or have a good solution?

Thanks,

Beth in MA

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:57 PM

Answers

• After installing Office 2007, the English dictionary in Outlook Express is replaced with the French dictionary. The reason for this is that Outlook Express uses the dictionary from Office and Microsoft has only released a French language pack that Outlook Express can read. A suggested fix: install just the proofing tools from your previous version of Office. For details, see http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm.

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:37 PM
    Monday, March 03, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• After installing Office 2007, the English dictionary in Outlook Express is replaced with the French dictionary. The reason for this is that Outlook Express uses the dictionary from Office and Microsoft has only released a French language pack that Outlook Express can read. A suggested fix: install just the proofing tools from your previous version of Office. For details, see http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm.

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:37 PM
    Monday, March 03, 2008 5:38 PM
  •  

Thank you Christine!  Problem solved.  I had actually received this same solution from someone a while ago and it does work - good to see it validated from another source.

Beth

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by David Wolters Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:43 AM
  • I have the same problem now.. My spell check is only in French!  I called Microsoft and they want to charge me 60 bucks for help and it is their program that meesed it up in the first place!  I am afraid to download an outside free ware spell checker!  How do I know it won't mess something else up? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:37 AM
  • I was a bit afraid of downloading an outside spell checker as well.  That is why I did the dictionary install from the old Office disks that I had adn it solved my problem perfectly, but now I do get many "updates" to that version of office in my automatic Microsoft update service as it does not seem to know that I just installed a tiny tiny part of the old office suite - not a problem but unexpected.  The folks on this board are usually pretty good at their recommendations.  Look at other posts by the folks who have recommended outside spell checkers and see how helpful others found their recommendations.  You can also see if the others who used their suggestions are using a system setup like yours, operating system for example.  Then you just have to pick a solution and try it - you can probably safely uninstall it later if you are concerned after the fact.  I know this isn't a techie hint, but I have used this board before and really feel greatly supported by the supporting cast who take the time to suggest solutions and know much more than I do about these things!

Beth in MA

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Thanks Christine. I don't have my 'old' Microsoft office discs so this fix was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to help thiose of us who need help!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:14 AM