SCCM 2012 installation without integrating active directory RRS feed

• Question

• I will explain my scenario.

I have one Active Directory, And different OU for different location, ie for US i have one OU, for UK i have another OU, for Dubai i have one OU.

Now we have SCCM installed in US, It has a CAS server under which there are 4 primary and 20 secondary sites.

I want to install a standalone SCCM for the Dubai office, for just that single OU and manage the domain joined clients. But i do not want to integrate with the AD, as already there is one SCCM in the same AD.

How can this be achieved? How can the clients be installed and what will be different during the site installation.

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:47 AM

Answers

• It is possible to install and configure ConfigMgr without publishing to Active Directory. However you have to perform quite a few manual actions and it's more difficult to configure and maintain. If you just need OSD why not use MDT until your Secondary Site is available. MDT is standalone and very straightforward to configure and manage.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:17 AM
    Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:58 AM

All replies

• I don't believe there are any limitations with the information you have provided for being unable to stand up a second SCCM installation within the same domain.

There is no technological reason why you can't have 2 distinct instances where the second in Dubai just does an AD sync to your Dubai OU and only at that level.

You could then push out the clients to that group of computers and they would report back to the Dubai SCCM Management Point.

I would really be trying to do all of this though with the one instance of SCCM. What are your reasons for wanting to introduce a second instance of SCCM within the same domain? Logically looking at your scenario I would consider setting up a Secondary site or perhaps even just a remote DP depending on the number of clients you have.

Your choice to decide, just a lot of duplication and messing around with two SCCM instances. I'm sure others will have opinions and further thoughts to add to your question.

Cheers

Damon

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:08 AM
  • How many clients are you managing in total?
    Why do you want to install another primary site? It's possible to have more than one CAS and/or standalone primary sites within the same domain, as long as there are no overlapping boundary/groups for site assignment and that the sitecodes used are unique.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:13 AM
  • thank you for your response.

I did think of the secondary site, and it would have been far better. But the time frame is a problem here. The US team gave a time frame of 2 months to create a secondary. but we don't have that long.

My primary question is, "Is it possible to install a stand alone SCCM server without integrating with AD and manage AD joined computers? will i be able to create images and do OS deployments on them?

If these are not possible there is no use for me going further on this. 

Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:51 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I have a total of almost 500 clients.

It is a requirement that we go with a stand alone site without disturbing the current SCCM structure that is there on the AD.

Will it be possible to manage AD joined clients by an SCCM that is not integrated onto the AD? 

Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:55 AM
  • It is possible to install and configure ConfigMgr without publishing to Active Directory. However you have to perform quite a few manual actions and it's more difficult to configure and maintain. If you just need OSD why not use MDT until your Secondary Site is available. MDT is standalone and very straightforward to configure and manage.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:17 AM
    Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:58 AM
  • thank you for the response Gerry.

Well, I'm also looking for patch management and remote connectivity. 

If possible could you please brief me on what are the manual configurations that would have to be made. 

Thank you.

Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:02 AM
  • You will find it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712272.aspx

You're particularly interested in "Client computer installation and site assignment"

Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:24 AM
  • You will find it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712272.aspx

You're particularly interested in "Client computer installation and site assignment"

Thanks Gerry.

But my active directory schema is already extended since i already have SCCM installed in the AD environment. Will that make any difference? 

Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:40 AM
  • You need to read the article more closely. If you do not extend the schema you cannot publish your site to Active Directory. You are choosing not to publish your site to AD. The information is the same.

Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:44 AM
  • If you do not extend the schema you cannot publish your site to Active Directory. You are choosing not to publish your site to AD. The information is the same.

Yes Gerry.

One doubt. What if I use the same SMSSITECODE and SMSMP details on the standalone SCCM as it is on the SCCM that is integrated with AD. Will that make a difference?

Saturday, July 5, 2014 11:15 AM