none
Windows 10 + GRUB No Longer Boots Properly

Question

• I have a Surface Pro 2, which I previously installed Ubuntu on for dual booting, with GRUB. I eventually moved to using a VM, and silly me, assumed that after I completely removed the Ubuntu installation (including re merging the Ubuntu partition with my primary Windows 10 partition) that the next Windows OS update would replace GRUB with the Windows boot loader. This appears to not be the case, now over a year later my computer rarely boots up completely on its own (it had been never booting up completely on its own, but now it does it some of the time). What happens is that when booting up it only gets as far as GRUB, which loads properly and displays a command line, I've done various diagnostic things, from what I can tell, GRUB can't detect an OS, but the "exit" command leaves the command line and proceeds to Windows just fine, every time. From the internal recovery partition and the Windows 10 installation disk tools, I've tried various methods of fixing the boot loader that all seem to not work. The bootrec /scanos command does not detect any OS. I've tried various instructions to fix the problem, including this one: https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/

I'm out of ideas. Completely. Short of completely erasing the internal drive and reinstalling Windows, I have no more ideas. I'm posting here to try to solve the problem without doing so. 

Any thoughts? 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:37 PM

All replies

• To be clear, it had been booting up fine. So I actually thought my theory about the update process fixing the boot loader was correct, but the past few weeks it's started having the problem, more recently, after trying various methods to fix it, it now boots up completely some of the time. 

If it's by chance related I can no longer install OS updates. I figured I'd look into that after this problem was solved though, in case this is the cause. 

My computer does reboot daily to install these updates, fails, and tries again, which results in it rarely being ready to go, as it often needs me to type that exit command to finish booting up. Which is annoying, due to my use being mostly remote, and now the computer is rarely booted into Windows for remote access. 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Hi ,

I searched online and found a similar case that might be useful for you.
    How do I remove GNU grub and install windows boot loader?
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-remove-GNU-grub-and-install-windows-boot-loader

Also, Grub is the common boot loader for Linux system. You could also ask Ubuntu support forum for help. Because almost everything related I found are from Ubuntu forum. I will post here for your reference.

Uninstall Grub and use Windows bootloader
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/429610/uninstall-grub-and-use-windows-bootloader
    Removing GRUB from windows system after uninstalling Ubuntu from Windows 7 [duplicate]
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/151253/removing-grub-from-windows-system-after-uninstalling-ubuntu-from-windows-7
    Uninstall Grub and use Windows bootloader
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/429610/uninstall-grub-and-use-windows-bootloader
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Well... that didn't work. And it is the exact same thing as what I stated I tried that didn't work. I did think about posting on Linux related forums, but since my goal is to essentially reinstall Windows software, I thought a Windows forum was a more appropriate place. Any other thoughts?
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Hi ,

Sorry, The only thing comes into my mind is erasing the drive and reinstalling Windows.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Assuming that Surface 2 pro come out in 2013 the firmware should be BIOS and the hard disk in MBR style.

There are exactly 3 elements needed to load Windows boot manager and display boot menu:

1. MBR

2. active partition with proper boot record

3. bootmgr + BCD on active

You can use diskpart.exe on command line to examine disk and partitions, map and mark a partition as active.

For fixing MBR/boot records the utility bootsect.exe does the job.

For fixing boot manager and BCD bcdboot.exe can be used.

Reference fix Windows 10/8/7 boot.

(on linked page there also notes for fixing Windows 10 UEFI/GPT boot)

• Edited by BoYans Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:52 AM more details
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:39 AM