Bulk Update Using BDC Services. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My solution structure consists of a BDC service, that uses stored procedures to fetch data from sql server and later i use this data to perform some operations. Till this part (fetching) all is fine. The issue is that I have a datatable with close to 5000 records which i want to dump into my database in one transaction. For this purpose I have written a stored procedure which takes tabletype user defined parameter as input and using that performs the insertion row by row. I am not able to use this stored procedure using BDC, as this has user defined input parameter.

The create method performs insertion one record at a time which will be a performance hit in my case. I have read that BDC supports bulk updates. Can you please elaborate on how bulk update works in case of BDC. I would be very helpful if this can be elaborated using an example.

Thanks,

Ankit

Monday, August 6, 2012 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Ankit,

It's not possible to update a bulk of records in one time because Updater MethodInstance can be called to update an EntityInstance identified by a specified EntityInstanceId. An Updater method instance enables you to update an existing entity instance in an external system. For example, given a business object named Customer, this stereotype can be used to update the address of a customer “John” in the external system. If you do not define an Updater method, items cannot be updated by using the Business Connectivity Services features for the entity. For example, you cannot click the Edit Item button on the ribbon of an external list that is based on that external content type, to edit an item in the list.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Ankit,

It's not possible to update a bulk of records in one time because Updater MethodInstance can be called to update an EntityInstance identified by a specified EntityInstanceId. An Updater method instance enables you to update an existing entity instance in an external system. For example, given a business object named Customer, this stereotype can be used to update the address of a customer “John” in the external system. If you do not define an Updater method, items cannot be updated by using the Business Connectivity Services features for the entity. For example, you cannot click the Edit Item button on the ribbon of an external list that is based on that external content type, to edit an item in the list.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. We have changed our design now because of this limitation.

Thanks,

Ankit

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:03 AM