none
MS DPM 2010 - Formatting and reconfiguring storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

We currently have 2 DPM servers and each DPM server has one storage pool configured. The 2nd DPM server has a DELL storage device that is currently split in half, and the only way for me to unsplit the storage device is to format it... I would like to know if I can do the following:

1: To copy all data from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\" to an external drive.
    2: Remove the Storage Pool from DPM.
    3: Unsplit the storage device and format it as one partition.
    4: Connect it to DPM and setup as new DPM Storage Pool.
    5: Copy data from external drive (in step 1) back to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\"

Will this method work, and will it automatically resync the data?

Please help :)

Thank you,
    Ruan

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What exactly do you mean by this ?

<snip>
    The 2nd DPM server has a DELL storage device that is currently split in half.
    >snip<

Do you mean logical drives ?  Can Windows disk management see both halves ?  What is using the other half that DPM is not using ?

I think a better plan would to simply make it so DPM uses both halves.

If that is not possible, you are misisng a steps.  You need to run DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA so DPM make the new DPM volumes on the new disk - then you can copy the data back and run a consistency check.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:18 PM