locked
Error with XLViewer - Requested registry access is not allowed RRS feed

  • Question

  • Howdy....

    I've installed Excel Services on our SharePoint 2007, and have setup a trusted folder / location for our Excel files via Central Administration. When we select "view in web browser", sharepoint throws an error "Requested registry access is not allowed" when trying to run "/_layouts/xlviewer.aspx".

    I can't find any errors in the Servers Events Log that match up with this error.

    I believe that I have the Trusted File Location setup correctly: http://internal.sp.foo.com/, selected as "Windows SharePoint Services", and finally trust all children checked.

    Based on a bit of "binging" (can we verb that like "to google"? :-) I checked the Server's Registry for the permissions on :: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0 and the WSS_WPG / WSS_ADMIN_WGP users have Read / Full control of the tree from there down.

    My Application Pool user for the SharePoint Virtual Site in IIS is "Network Service". Should that be something else for Excel Services to work?

    Any ideas appreciated.


    -- Anthony Baratta
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:32 AM There is an Excel Services forum. So please use it for Excel Services questions (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:06 PM

Answers

  • It was not the user as authenticated via the Browser. (I was logged in via the browser as Administrator and / or accounts setup as Site Collection Admin.)

    I just got off the phone with MS Tech Support. The Identity of the Application Pool hosting the SharePoint collection was the default Service account. Once we switched that to an account with more OS server access rights, the error disappear and Excel Services started working.

    I don't think the documentation mentioned the proper account access necessary for the Application Pool Identity. 

     

     


    -- Anthony Baratta
    • Marked as answer by AnthonyAtApex Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:37 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:19 AM Post marked as answer by OP thus closing the thread. New question therefore removed. Post new questions as new threads.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

  • Hi group29,

     

    This issue occurs is mainly due to your user account that you used to log on does not have sufficient permissions. You can refer  to the following two KB articles to see if any of them is similar with your situation, and try the solution there, maybe you can solve this issue:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842795;

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329291.

     

    Thanks & Regards,

    Peng Lei

    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:10 AM
  • It was not the user as authenticated via the Browser. (I was logged in via the browser as Administrator and / or accounts setup as Site Collection Admin.)

    I just got off the phone with MS Tech Support. The Identity of the Application Pool hosting the SharePoint collection was the default Service account. Once we switched that to an account with more OS server access rights, the error disappear and Excel Services started working.

    I don't think the documentation mentioned the proper account access necessary for the Application Pool Identity. 

     

     


    -- Anthony Baratta
    • Marked as answer by AnthonyAtApex Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:37 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:19 AM Post marked as answer by OP thus closing the thread. New question therefore removed. Post new questions as new threads.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:37 PM