none
MS Project-Resource allcation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project with 10 tasks,5 being critical tasks.I want to deploy one project manager to the entire project.

1)How should i assign him in the project,whether i should assign him only to the critical tasks so that over allocation can be nullified or is there any other method.If i allocate to entire tasks ,over allocation happens.How to tackle it?

2)If there are two parallel activities and if i want to assign PM to both activities,how should i distribute resource assignment between them (% wise)

Please help. Iam a beginner in MSP.

regards,

Reeve

Sunday, April 5, 2020 6:35 AM

Answers

• Reeve,

Adding management support to a plan is always dilemma. Should support effort be spread among all tasks, should there be a separate management task, or should some other approach be used.

I think for the most part, having a separate management support task is the most practical and easiest to implement. One simple method is to create a recurring task with weekly, monthly, or quarterly discrete support periods. With this method the support level can easily be tailored to fit the effort being performed during the period.

Another method that is often uses is with a hammock task. A support hammock task normally starts with the first active task in the plan and finishes with the last active task in the plan but it can cover any range. The disadvantage of using a hammock task is that it requires the use of paste links which are prone to corruption, but if implemented properly and managed with good discipline, hammock tasks can be very effective. For details on how to set up a hammock task, see the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32040.ms-project-hammock-tasks.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, April 5, 2020 4:11 PM

All replies

• Reeve,

Adding management support to a plan is always dilemma. Should support effort be spread among all tasks, should there be a separate management task, or should some other approach be used.

I think for the most part, having a separate management support task is the most practical and easiest to implement. One simple method is to create a recurring task with weekly, monthly, or quarterly discrete support periods. With this method the support level can easily be tailored to fit the effort being performed during the period.

Another method that is often uses is with a hammock task. A support hammock task normally starts with the first active task in the plan and finishes with the last active task in the plan but it can cover any range. The disadvantage of using a hammock task is that it requires the use of paste links which are prone to corruption, but if implemented properly and managed with good discipline, hammock tasks can be very effective. For details on how to set up a hammock task, see the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32040.ms-project-hammock-tasks.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, April 5, 2020 4:11 PM
  • Thanks alot for your reply John
    Thursday, April 16, 2020 1:21 PM
  • Reeve In,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:39 PM