How to recover BitLocker Encrypted HDD that has been quick formatted? RRS feed

• Question

• I have external HDD that was fully bitlocker encrypted. The HDD was accidentaly quick formatted. Now it shows that HDD is not bitlocker encrypted, just empty. I do have bitlocker password & recovery key. Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Monday, September 18, 2017 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if you do not have a backup of your data .... bitlocker does not protect you against dataloss from formatting the disk.

/Oliver 

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:29 AM
  • I do not accept this answer...
    Monday, September 18, 2017 11:58 AM
  • I do not accept this answer...

what exactly do you not accept ?

Is your expectation that bitlocker should protect you from formatting a drive and loos all data ?

Monday, September 18, 2017 12:00 PM
  • In my case, yes! All data can be recovered if quick formatted, why not bitlocker encrypted data? I have the password and recovery key! I cannot believe that BitLocker is not protected human mistakes

• Edited by GaiusBaltar Monday, September 18, 2017 12:38 PM correction
    Monday, September 18, 2017 12:06 PM
  • ok ,  so the answer is ...

bitlocker does not protect you against formatting drives. Maybe a professional data recovery service can help you. 

Monday, September 18, 2017 12:38 PM
  • Gaius, you can try to recover the partitions just as you would do without bitlocker. Take a recovery tool of your choice: test disk by c. grenier or EaseUs Easy recovery maybe, both good. Afterwards, with a little luck, you can simply carry on as before.

However, since disk operations by recovery tools are not bitlocker aware, you should not risk to do it on the original disk, but rather make a sector copy of the disk (use clonezilla with advanced options) and work on the clone.

Acceptable answer?

Monday, September 18, 2017 12:49 PM