How can I enable DIPM for my internal SATA SSD, but continue to use HIPM for my internal SATA HDD on Vista Home Premium 32-bit? RRS feed

• Question

• I own a 17 inch gaming laptop that contains two internal hard drive bays, purchased in June of 2008.  It came with only one hard drive (traditional spinning-disk).  It runs Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Service Pack 2.

My SATA controller is an Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family); I believe it is a first generation SATA controller (1.5 gbps).

I recently received a 160 GB Intel X-25M SSD (second generation SATA, but fully compatible with first generation controllers, with no additional configuring or jumpers) as a gift from my wife.  I removed my first hard drive completely, installed the SSD in the primary bay (as the boot drive), and installed Windows, drivers, and the Intel SSD utility; the whole system worked beautifully.  I then reinstalled my original HDD in the second bay, wiped it completely, and reformatted it as one partition; it currently contains my music and other media files.

The Intel SSD utility tells me that DIPM status "could not be determined," and that my SSD should be using DIPM, as opposed to HIPM.  This appears to take a bit of tinkering to do in Vista, and my situation is further complicated by the presence of my secondary (original) HDD, which would rather use HIPM.

I did read the article on the Microsoft support website about editing the registry to enable DIPM, and that is something I would feel comfortable doing; however, I only want my SSD to use DIPM, my HDD should continue to use HIPM, and I was afraid that the the suggested fix would enable DIPM for all drives.  Also, I would imagine it is entirely possible that Vista has already figured all this out and applied the correct power management settings to the appropriate drives, and the Intel SSD Toolbox just isn't smart enough to see that.

It might be important to note that my system's performance is currently more than adequate, but I am ignorant on the subject of SSD/HDD power management, and I fear that an incorrect setting could somehow damage one drive or the other.  In addition, I am a perfectionist and a gamer, and I get a huge thrill simply from seeing my computer's performance soar, so it makes sense to have all my settings in order.

If someone could let me know how I can enable DIPM for my SSD while continuing to use HIPM for my HDD, or if Vista is way ahead of me and I need not take action, I would be much appreciative.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:39 AM

Answers

• As my brother used to say: "If it ain't broke, tweak it". I would leave well enough alone.  Many tweaks do nothing at all and may, if fact, cause problems that otherwise would never materialize.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Gamer6789 Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:37 AM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:54 AM

All replies

• As my brother used to say: "If it ain't broke, tweak it". I would leave well enough alone.  Many tweaks do nothing at all and may, if fact, cause problems that otherwise would never materialize.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Gamer6789 Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:37 AM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:54 AM
  • do you or anyone else know how to set up/enable DIPM on windows 7?

i am using the ssd on a notebook and the Intel SSD Toolbox tells me the same like you, that the dipm status could not be determined.

i couldnt find anything thats related for using windows 7. only vista!

i have read the microsoft article for vista because i thought it could be similar but i havent even the registry-key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0

only

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Enum

thanks

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Please refer to http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120968 for the solution.

If you need to keep another HD without DIPM enabled after that, you must attach it to a non-AHCI controller.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:50 PM