Unable to install Windows Vista update KB943729 (Group Policy Client update) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to install Update for Windows (KB943729).  The update fails through Windows Update. 

I get error code 80070643.  This suggested restarting the Office Source Engine, which I did with no effect.  This yielded the following event log:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}" />
      <EventID>20</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>1</Task>
      <Opcode>13</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-04T14:33:51.891Z" />
      <EventRecordID>131376</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="1236" ThreadID="9892" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>ACER-PHIL</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="errorCode">0x80070643</Data>
      <Data Name="updateTitle">Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows Vista (KB943729)</Data>
      <Data Name="updateGuid">{4408B856-FE61-4EBC-A9DB-7FC9A4619B66}</Data>
      <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">100</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

I have also downloaded the file (Windows6.0-KB943729-x86.msu) and attempted manual installation.  Here is the event log info:

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WUSA" Guid="{09608c12-c1da-4104-a6fe-b959cf57560a}" />
      <EventID>3</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-04T12:56:43.046Z" />
      <EventRecordID>4</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="6672" ThreadID="3028" />
      <Channel>Setup</Channel>
      <Computer>ACER-PHIL</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1562892536-3238629816-824610002-1000" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="UpdateTitle">"Update for Windows (KB943729)"</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">2149842978</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorString" />
      <Data Name="CommandLine">"C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Temp\Windows6.0-KB943729-x86.msu"</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

I have tried running a batch file with this code:
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop Cryptsvc
    cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
    rd /s /q DataStore
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start Cryptsvc

I have also run SFC /Scannow and reinstalled “D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce”.

If it comes to having to reinstall Windows as an in-place upgrade, I won't bother because that will likely cause more problems than it solves.  This laptop is not currently in a domain (it is running Vista Ultimate 32 bit) so the upgrade is not required, but I still would like to be able to install it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your information.

According to your logs, the issue may due to that installation was failing when attempting to create temp files for WMI components. Update.exe was trying access an incorrect temp folder due to an inexact TEMP/TMP varialbles. I would like to suggest that you check the following:

1.  Open Control Panel, double click System. Then click "Advance system settings"

2.  Choose "Advanced", then click "Environment Variables".

3.  Check whether the path to TEMP/TMP is correct. By default, they should be setting as %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest that install the following things before install the update KB943729:

Vista SP1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista SP1 32-bit Edition (KB941314)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ff6e897-23ce-4a36-b7fc-d52065de9960&DisplayLang=en

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:55 AM
  • Well, now I have a new wrinkle.  I downloaded SP1 (Windows Update does not see it).  When I ran it, it seemed to be installing fine until during the updating process after an automatic reboot.  It said the update failed and reverted the changes.  Now I have two updates that need to install!  It is still installing other updates from Window Update.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

Generally, this type of installation issue can occur by the following factors:

1. Certain third party programs are running in the background during the SP1 installation (especially third party firewall, antivirus programs, etc).
    2. Corrupted Windows Update temporary file.
    3. Some system files are damaged.

Before we try to install Windows Vista SP1, please refer to the following article first:

Things to Know Before You Download Windows Vista SP1
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968895.aspx

Installing SP1 requires a minimum of 5 GB free disk space on the Windows partition. The recommended free disk space is as follows:

• 7 GB Recommended for 32-bit Windows Vista
    • 12 GB Recommended for 64-bit Windows Vista

If your original system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version preinstalled in the computer, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer before installing Windows Vista SP1. Please ask them if

any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for Vista SP1. Otherwise, installing Vista SP1 may cause unexpected problems.

The installation may take more than 45 minutes, depending on the system. The system will reboot several times during the installation. Please do not turn off the power manually. If we are using a laptop, please connect it to the AC Power Adapter.

At this stage, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Clear up Windows Update temporary folder
    ================================
    1. Close all the open windows.
    2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
    3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
    4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
    7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.
    8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode
    ========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

If SP1 fails to install, please collect a screenshot of the error message and the latest System Information. Please be sure that the information does not contain any of your confidential and private information. It’s for

troubleshooting purposes only. Thank you for understanding.

Capture a Screenshot
    ==============
    1. When any error occurs, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".
    6. Please send this saved JPEG file to my email account at 
    scedata@microsoft.com.

Collect System Information
    ==================
    The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the "Start" menu, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start System Information.
    2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
    3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    4. Please send it as an attachment to
    scedata@microsoft.com.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or a

Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking the "Attach"

button.

After obtaining the information, I will research it and get back to you as soon as possible. Please take your time with the steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or

concerns, feel free to contact me.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

I tried again to install SP1 last night after reviewing the info at the page you indicated.  I disabled my antivirus this time, which I had not done the first time.  I do have >9GB of free space on the C:\ partition.  It still did not work.  When I went to the site to reply, I realized the email sent to me with your previous reply had been truncated and I did not see your detailed instructions until now.  I will try it again over the weekend and let you know.

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Hello, again.

I tried again over the weekend to install SP1.  This time I used all your suggestions.  Still no good.  After the

second reboot, it progressed to "Instlalling Service Pack: Stage 3 of 3 - 100% complete.  Do not turn off your

computer."  Then the message changed to "Service Pack did not install.  Reverting changes.  Do not turn off your

computer."  This is the same thing that has happened with every attempted install.  There are numerous System log

entries similar to this: "Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package

Package_79_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000 () into Staged(Staged) state" and also this one:

"Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package

Package_for_KB948590~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0 () into Installed(Installed) state"

Today Windows Update is displaying SP1 as an important update.  This has previously not been available through Windows Update.  I will try this tonight to see if it installs, but I do not expect it to install.

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to hear that.  And we may need more information to narrow dawn the cause. Please send the related information which I mentioned in my previous post for further analysis.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your information.

According to your logs, the issue may due to that installation was failing when attempting to create temp files for WMI components. Update.exe was trying access an incorrect temp folder due to an inexact TEMP/TMP varialbles. I would like to suggest that you check the following:

1.  Open Control Panel, double click System. Then click "Advance system settings"

2.  Choose "Advanced", then click "Environment Variables".

3.  Check whether the path to TEMP/TMP is correct. By default, they should be setting as %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:31 AM
  • we have the same problem with KB943729 on around 5 out of 60 Vista Business boxes all fail to install the update, we haven't yet started to deploy SP1

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:22 AM
  • I had changed both the %temp% and %tmp% variables to C:\WinVistaTemp to make it easier to access them to clean them out periodically.  I reset them to the default values as you suggested.  I verified this by typing "cd %temp% and "cd %tmp% in command windows, which took me to the correct directory.  This did not resolve the issue.

Any other thoughts?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I have exactly the same problems: unable to install KB943729 with errorcode 0x80070643 and failed install of Vista SP1 with the same errorcode. All other recent Windows Vista updates were successful. I hope someone can help us out!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I've now pulled the server 2008 GPO update so it doesn't cause any more problems on any other Vista boxes we have.  When it failed it rolled back any other updates that were applied at the same time which led to multiple reboots of users PC's

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:25 AM
  • Hi silpkid,

According to your log, I noticed that there are lot of event ID 4375 with error 0x800f0826. And I found this the following article:

Windows Update error 800f0826
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2d96561c-0a7a-492a-b48f-8317cf4f1fde1033.mspx

For error 80070643, if the updates were get from WSUS, the following KB may can do some help:

Error message when you use Windows Server Update Services Setup: "Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920660/en-us

Also, I would like to suggest the following steps:

1. Open an command line.

2. Stop the Windows
    Update service by typing: net stop wuauserv.

3. Rename the Software Dustribution folder by typing: ren "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution" SoftwareDistributionOld.

4. Restart the Windows
    Update Service by typing: net start wuauserv.

5. Try to install SP1 again.

If the problem still persists, please send the following logs to scedata@microsoft.com  for further analysis:

%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log
    %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml,
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad
    %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
    %windir%\windowsupdate.log

Hope it helps.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:22 AM
  • Guo-Zhen,

This issue is not resolved!  I have been awaiting a response from you concerning the latest logs I sent to you last Thursday.  I can send them again, if you like.  However, some of the logs are too large for your email system to accept.  If you like, I can set up a Webdav folder so you can download them.'

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Hi slipkid,

I am sorry to hear that. And if possible,please share the %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log to me.

By the way, please check the security settings of your current %TEMP% directory, make sure your current login account and system account have full permission. Also you may like change it to %windir%\temp as a test.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  

I have tried before to send it to you.  Since it is >66MB, your server will not accept it.  Is there another mechanaism (ftp, webdav, etc) that can be used?

System and I have full admin rights to the folder.

Thanks

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:03 PM
  • same problem here.

my 2 vista ultimate machines 32bit german SP1 were unable to install this update over microsoft update. i got the same error code. all other updates work fine.

the posted solutions didn't help.

maybe it's helpful: both machines were installed with an installion media which includes SP1 (media came directly from microsofts technet subscriber downloads). both machines are workgroup members an not in an active directory environment
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Hi silipkid,

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=e02b46f5-ac9b-4f04-adbf-a724ae65e914)
    Password: *xQST30wiHHCBk^@

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Considering the log is too large, could please copy out the log with recently date?

Thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Hi MOM2008,

Could you please provide more exactly information? For example the error code and the exact symptoms? Also, please send the log to scedata@microsoft.com as my previous replies.

Thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:25 AM
  •  

Guo-Zhen,

Thank you for giving me the upload info.  I copied all the requested logs to this location.  I appologize for not having edited the logs for dates, but I am leaving for appointments and cannot do it today.  I wanted to make sure you receive them today.

Thank you.

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:42 PM
  •  Guo-Zhen Wang - MSFT wrote:

Hi MOM2008,

Could you please provide more exactly information? For example the error code and the exact symptoms? Also, please send the log to scedata@microsoft.com as my previous replies.

Thanks.

guo-zhen

the installation through microsoft update fails with error code 80070643

i had the following error entries in the event log:

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}" />
      <EventID>20</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>1</Task>
      <Opcode>13</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-25T18:23:45.684Z" />
      <EventRecordID>45876</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="1192" ThreadID="3404" />
      <Computer>mobiletk.magicmountain</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="errorCode">0x80070643</Data>
      <Data Name="updateTitle">Gruppenrichtlinieneinstellungs-Clienterweiterungen für Windows Vista (KB943729)</Data>
      <Data Name="updateGuid">{4408B856-FE61-4EBC-A9DB-7FC9A4619B66}</Data>
      <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">101</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4375</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-25T18:23:40.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>45875</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-908200737-1268794034-3600023233-1000" />
      </System>
    - <UserData>
    - <CbsPackageChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">
      <PackageIdentifier>KB943729 Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Preferences-CSE-Package_de-DE</PackageIdentifier>
      <ReleaseType>Language Pack</ReleaseType>
      <PackageState>Install Requested</PackageState>
      <PackageAssembly>Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Preferences-CSE-Pack~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~de-DE~6.0.6001.18034</PackageAssembly>
      <Operation>Installed</Operation>
      <OperationCompleted>True</OperationCompleted>
      <ErrorCode>0x80070643</ErrorCode>
      <RebootOption>False</RebootOption>
      <MissingElements />
      </CbsPackageChangeState>
      </UserData>
      </Event>

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4385</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-25T18:23:40.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>45874</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-908200737-1268794034-3600023233-1000" />
      </System>
    - <UserData>
    - <CbsUpdateChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">
      <UpdateName>Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Preferences-CSE-Pack-de-DE-LP</UpdateName>
      <PackageIdentifier>Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Preferences-CSE-Pack-Package-de-DE-MiniLP</PackageIdentifier>
      <ReleaseType>Feature Pack</ReleaseType>
      <UpdateState>Staged</UpdateState>
      <PackageAssembly>Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Preferences-CSE-Pack-MiniLP~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~de-DE~6.0.6001.18034</PackageAssembly>
      <UpdateDisplayName>GroupPolicy Preferences CSE</UpdateDisplayName>
      <Operation>Installed</Operation>
      <OperationCompleted>True</OperationCompleted>
      <ErrorCode>0x80070643</ErrorCode>
      <RebootOption>False</RebootOption>
      </CbsUpdateChangeState>
      </UserData>
      </Event>

according to the requested logfiles (%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log
    %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.persist.log
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml,
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad
    %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
    %windir%\windowsupdate.log)

%windir%\winsxs\pending.xml and %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad are not available on my system and the other files are very big (about 74 MB). i'm not able to send them per email. do you have an uploadserver where i can upload them?

thank you,
    MOM2008
    Friday, April 25, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Cd key
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:50 PM
  •  

I have the exact same problem, KB943729 will not install erroring with 80070643. Other machines on the network have installed the update without any problem.

Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit.

Microsoft Update/WSUS/Manual Install all fail.

Help?

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:56 PM
  • hi, plz check Group Policy Client.

open the Service Control Manager, double click on Group Policy Client, check if the service status to see if it is in a running state.

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:32 AM
  •  misslove wrote:

hi, plz check Group Policy Client.

open the Service Control Manager, double click on Group Policy Client, check if the service status to see if it is in a running state.

Yes it is running, it cannot be stopped/controlled however.

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:40 AM
  • I have tried to analysis the log. However, it is seems a little complicated. For troubleshooting the issue more effectively, we may need involve more support resources. So I would like to suggest that you to contact Windows Vista SP1 Customer Support Service and Windows Update newsgroup as following:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=6&prid=11274&gprid=500921

(Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)  Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18, 2009. )

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Hope it helps and thanks for understanding

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Quo-Zhen

This thread seems to have morphed from the original question.  This was started due to my inability to install Windows update KB943729 (Group Policy Client Update), not SP1.  I would like to install the original update in question and then move on to SP1.  Neither of the suggested links have any information suggesting a resolution to this issue.  I had already seen the posts in Windows Update prior to starting this thread.

I am taking your most recent post to mean you are giving up on the issue.  I understand that, since it is a pesky issue.  Unfortunately, that does not help me.  I hope somebody else may see this that can try to resolve it.  I will go through the SP1 support to see if they can resolve that issue.  Who knows, perhaps a successful installation of SP1 will allow the original update to install.

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  slipkid wrote:

Quo-Zhen

This thread seems to have morphed from the original question.  This was started due to my inability to install Windows update KB943729 (Group Policy Client Update), not SP1.  I would like to install the original update in question and then move on to SP1.  Neither of the suggested links have any information suggesting a resolution to this issue.  I had already seen the posts in Windows Update prior to starting this thread.

I am taking your most recent post to mean you are giving up on the issue.  I understand that, since it is a pesky issue.  Unfortunately, that does not help me.  I hope somebody else may see this that can try to resolve it.  I will go through the SP1 support to see if they can resolve that issue.  Who knows, perhaps a successful installation of SP1 will allow the original update to install.

I'd second that, we have the issue with the GPO Client update also, on 6 out of 60 Vista Business boxes, now 6 isn't many but 10% of our Vista estate is!  Haven't tried any SP1 installs yet but like the rest of you I expect those boxes with the GPO issue will fail to install SP1.  Just a wild stab in the dark but I take it SP1 includes the GPO update, and this failing to install is what’s bombing out the whole of SP1

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:17 PM
  •  Kjhoskin wrote:

I'd second that, we have the issue with the GPO Client update also, on 6 out of 60 Vista Business boxes, now 6 isn't many but 10% of our Vista estate is!  Haven't tried any SP1 installs yet but like the rest of you I expect those boxes with the GPO issue will fail to install SP1.  Just a wild stab in the dark but I take it SP1 includes the GPO update, and this failing to install is what’s bombing out the whole of SP1

Hm I had no problems with SP1, since SP1 was included in my installation media from technet subscriber download. but the installation of this mentioned update fails. Maybe, in my case the update is not language neutral.

the first error i got in cbs.log when installing this update is:

2008-04-25 20:23:11, Info                  CSI    00000027 Begin executing advanced installer phase 32 (0x00000020) index 6 (sequence 36)
        Old component: (null)
        New component: Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-PolicyMaker-Mof.Resources, Version = 6.0.6001.18034, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
        Install mode: install
        Installer ID: {9f4ec79f-3a97-4772-b635-2899468900a2}
        Installer name: [3]"Mof"
    2008-04-25 20:23:11, Info                  CSI    00000028 Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
      LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16 b:adef6b6b01a7c8010f000000cc0b840d} pathid: {l:16 b:adef6b6b01a7c80110000000cc0b840d} path: [l:236{118}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-g..maker-mof.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18034_en-us_a01397bc568c079b" pid: bcc starttime: 128536213114422845 (0x01c8a7013b75863d)
    2008-04-25 20:23:11, Info                  CSI    00000029 Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
      LockComponentPath (10): flags: 0 comp: {l:16 b:6db2706b01a7c80111000000cc0b840d} pathid: {l:16 b:6db2706b01a7c80112000000cc0b840d} path: [l:222{111}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-wmi-mofinstaller_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_121d5f3c2bc0ad4c" pid: bcc starttime: 128536213114422845 (0x01c8a7013b75863d)
    2008-04-25 20:23:15, Error                 CSI    00000001@2008/4/25:18:23:15.388 (F) Logged @2008/4/25:18:23:11.972 : [ml:130{65},l:128{64}]"MOF (install online) $(runtime.system32)\wbem\en-US\polprocl.mfl"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:23:15, Error                 CSI    00000002@2008/4/25:18:23:15.388 (F) CMIADAPTER: Inner Error Message from AI HRESULT = 80041002 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_ITF,Code=4098 (0x1002)]
     [
    (null)
    ]
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-04-25 20:23:15, Error                 CSI    00000003@2008/4/25:18:23:15.388 (F) CMIADAPTER: AI failed. HRESULT = 80041002 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_ITF,Code=4098 (0x1002)]
        Element:
        [99]"<mof xmlns="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" name="$(runtime.system32)\wbem\en-US\polprocl.mfl" />"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    Monday, April 28, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for your understanding.

In fact, this issue is more like a windows update issue rather than OS issue. I have spent lots of time and performed research on it but seems may need to involve more resource. Then I discussed this issue with colleagues in the Windows update team. I noticed that they have more experience about the issue, and they also will be glad to handle it if you submit a case in there. So I would like to redirect you to the other channels which should be most relevant resource for this problem.

However, if the above 2 links does not help. Please go to the following:

Microsoft Windows Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

It is free of charge too.

Hope it helps and thanks again.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:19 AM
  •  

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Did anyone get a resolution to this problem?

Thanks!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Yes.  The solution was to use the install DVD to perform an upgrade install.  This essentially repairs Windows.  With all previous versions of Windows, such a procedure would render the computer unbootable, but this actually works with vista.  Once you complete the process, simply install SP1.  You don't lose preferences or have to reinstall anything.  It's great, albeit a little drastic.  One thing I noticed, however, is if you need to perform this operation again after installing SP1, you need to use media that includes SP1 or it will  not allow you to do an upgrade because you cannot upgrade to a previous version.

Good luck, and don't be afraid.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Not really a great solution though is it Sad

I contacted MS Support as suggested above, I was fobbed off with contacting them via the paid support links - Im not paying to report a common problem Smile

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:25 AM
  • No, it's not a great solution, but it's better than nothing.  In addition, I noticed something last night regarding the SP1 install.  Both Windows Fax and Scan and Windows Meeting Space no longer appear in my programs.  In fact, the executables are no longer present on the machine!  These are both functions I had used prior to the SP1 upgrade so I know they did exist.  Strange.  I'd say Microsoft has their work cut out for them.  Hopefully, they will fix all these quirky things prior to the release of the nex OS, scheduled for next year.  I'm viewing this as sort of a test scenario in which we are all guinnea pigs used to work out the kinks.  Microsoft should be paying us to test this instead of us paying them!
    Friday, June 20, 2008 6:12 PM
  • I don't have any problems with my machine, SP1 is installed without any problems - thats just you; the only problem I have is this KB update will not install.

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:15 PM